Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone heard of Hercules hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
cawright
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone heard of Hercules hops?

I'm in the process of developing a clone recipe for Brew Dog's Bashah. On their website is a photo of an ingredients list (http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=132). The top entry under "Hops" looks like "Hercules," with an AA around 17%. The trouble is, I've never heard of this hop and haven't been able to find it at my local homebrew shop or online. Nor can I find a profile of it to give me an idea for substitutes.

Has anyone heard of this hop? Does it go by a different name? Or am I completely misreading that hop list.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

A search gave me a German webpage http://www.deutscher-hopfen.de/conte...p?StoryID=2118

It's a high alpha bittering hop, that apparently has a slightly fruity, very spicy aroma.
http://www.deutscher-hopfen.de/conte...8/herkules.pdf

translate.google.com for the win

Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
cawright
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like I won't actually be finding Hercules hops in the states.

Any thoughts on substitutes? Referring to Palmer's "How To Brew" it looks like Sterling has a matching profile (spicy, slight floral and citrus) but lower AA. Can always up the amount though.

Cheers

Old 04-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawright View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like I won't actually be finding Hercules hops in the states.

Any thoughts on substitutes? Referring to Palmer's "How To Brew" it looks like Sterling has a matching profile (spicy, slight floral and citrus) but lower AA. Can always up the amount though.

Cheers
Looking at that recipe sheet, it *looks* like those top three, Hercules, Magnum and Warrior, are used for bittering. If I were you, I'd just use Magnum and Warrior for bittering, then Centennial and Amarillo for flavor/aroma (as listed). They don't say the timing of the additions, but they did list those first three separate at the top and the other two at the bottom, so my guess would be like I said. First three for bittering, last two for flavor/aroma.

I've never had the beer though.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[QUOTE=cawright;2032563]I'm in the process of developing a clone recipe for Brew Dog's Bashah.QUOTE]

Did you end up brewing this? What sort of yeast did you use? I was thinking of trying this with light liquid extract, chocolate malt, and carafa and Safbrew T-58.

Quick Reply