Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone have a REAL lion's stout clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
Please update this if you can, it's my GFs favorite beer and I love it too. Their bottles are my favorite also . I can almost bottle an entire batch in Lion Stout bottles now hah.

Thanks!
I even sent Kris the link to the thread so maybe we'll get a direct response here.

I agree about the bottles. I decided that I am going to bottle at least 6 if not more of my 50th birthday barleywine in Lion bottles. Those probably would be the ones I would actually open at my birthday party. The rest of them interestingly enough I planned to use those cool little redstripe bottles, with the paint stripped off. It's funny that two jamican bottles are going to be used for my special beer. I did just find a local micro that started bottling their beers in the exact same RS bottles but with paper labels, so that will make my bottling easier.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
Revvy

Recipes 

Just got this back from Kris.

Quote:
Lion stout is a bit tough b/c 1) its on the other side of the world and 2) there is really no solid information on it. The numbers are easy enough to come up with and the ingredients are pretty standard for all tropical stouts. All the clone recipes I've seen for Lion are usually quite wrong. They use too much malt, not enough sugar and defintely too much roast malt.

Have you ever had the Jamaican Dragon stout? Its quite similar. A little smoother and lower in alcohol. That one I have a sure replication of since i visitied the brewery. Its a good one to start with as you can add any sort of roastier flavors you want. If you like I can manipulate it and give you my best guess at a Lion clone. I've done a few before and can see with what I come up with, yeah?
I replied with both the Dragon Recipes already on here, the one I posted and the one with sinamar to see what Kris thought.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #23
Revvy

Recipes 

More from Kristen

Quote:
The latter was the Dragon Stout clone I published in BYO some time ago. Works out very well. I wouldn't use sinemar but its the only thing readily availible. I use Burnt Sugar. Google Jamaican burtn sugar and you'll see. Its wicked cheap and what you want for color. I'd swap corn sugar for unrefined Turbinado for sure. The problem most people have with this recipe is it finishes too dry for them. Let me double check the FG. I believe last I remember they backsweeten and pasteurize at the brewery.
Now I gotta find me some burnt sugar.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #24
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Off topic, but I tried lion stout for the first time about a week ago due to this thread and I must say that it is AWESOME. Very enjoyable, and the price? Oh so right. I almost felt bad about paying 2.79 for a beer that is actually GOOD.

Continue on with this thread for a beer that is truly delicious.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #25
Revvy

Recipes 

So ARRRGH evidently Jamaican Burnt sugar is not that easily found in the Metro Detroit are....But since it appears that it is added, according to Kris England at kegging (or in my case @ bottling) time. So it isn't that crucial to brew day. And I'll mail order it and use it down the line.

So with Kris' help I am pulling together a decent recipe. I'll post it later, I'm still tweaking the numbers in beersmith.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
Off topic, but I tried lion stout for the first time about a week ago due to this thread and I must say that it is AWESOME. Very enjoyable, and the price? Oh so right. I almost felt bad about paying 2.79 for a beer that is actually GOOD.

Continue on with this thread for a beer that is truly delicious.
Yeah the funny thing I've noticed in metro detroit, is that it is often the only non-bmc/imported beer in many liquor stores. I really don't get it, but often you can find it tucked in with the "40's" of Malt liquor. That's why I ignored it for years until the name popped up on here. It is really strange considering, as my fruitless search has proven, there is not a big enough Jamaican or Sri Lankin Population it seems to warrant finding Burnt Sugar Syrup.

But at $3.00 or less a bottle it is a nice stout for the price.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #27
Revvy

Recipes 

Hmmm..Been doing some reading trying to find info about my errant and hard to find ingredient burnt sugar.

It occurred to me that although Dragon Stout is Jamaican, Lion Stout is actually Sri Lankin. So I'm thinking just maybe Lion's doesn't have the stuff in it. Maybe it has the Sri Lankin equivalent of it.

I googled "Burnt Sugar" and "Sri Lanka" and came up with the name. Kithul Treacle, and Jaggery. Looks like the two main ingredients in Sri-Lankin cooking.

Quote:
“Kithul” is a Sri Lankan name to a variety of palm scientifically known as Caryota urens that grows in the Asian tropics. It is a species of indigenous flowering plant in the palm family from Sri Lanka, Myanmar and India. They naturally grow in the wild, in forest covers, in fields, in rain-forest clearings and even in home gardens. This palm has been used as an ornamental tree in the Philippines. In fact, our family has one tree growing right in front of our garden which my sister Ines got from a local garden supplier. They are commonly called solitary fishtail palm, toddy palm, wine palm or jaggery palm.

“Kithul” treacle and jaggery are products made from the sugary sweet sap obtained by tapping the young “Kithul” inflorescence according to a traditional methods. This traditional knowledge was a highly guarded and much valued secret, kept within families and handed down from generation to generation with the techniques being unmatched and not practiced in any other country in the region.

“Kithul” treacle, also called “Kithul honey” is similar to maple syrup and made from pure sap for a unique taste and aroma. Since it is an all-natural, chemical-free products with no additives or preservatives, it is a healthy alternative to granular sugar. In Sri Lanka, treacle is a “must-have” accompaniment to curd and a common ingredient in baking. For me, I have used this in “minatamis na saging” or sweetened banana, pancakes syrup and other sweets.

“Kithul” jaggery is produced by concentrated treacle heated to 200°C until it reaches a consistency similar to that of a thick syrup. It is then poured into moulds and cooled. It is a traditional unrefined non-centrifugal sugar ready to use as a natural sweetener with tea, herbal tea, sweet and savoury dishes, or simply enjoyed on its own. It is also used as an ingredient in both sweet and savory dishes across Sri Lanka. For me, I have used this in cooking "humba", "estopado" and other dishes requiring brown sugar.

Looks like I'm making a trip to the indian market after work.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #28
Revvy

Recipes 

Posting some more info that is helping me turn the Jamaican Stout into a Sri Lankin. The biggest problem is that the Brewery's website is down for updates so I have to wing it.

Quote:
Lion Brewery Ceylon—Biyagama, Sri Lanka (Southwestern Sri Lanka)

A great distance from the eastern coast of Scotland, we now turn to the island nation of Sri Lanka to find the source of our second featured international beer, Lion Stout. While the span between these two lands is tremendous, there is an interesting link between these very different breweries. Back when Sri Lanka was known as Ceylon, it was colonized by Portuguese, Dutch and British citizens, among others. The British had a particular interest in the local hill country, as it provided an ideal climate in which to plant that most nationally demanded of plants—tea. The Scottish were quite experienced with tea cultivation, and in the 1800s there was no shortage of them living and working in the region. One particular Scotsman, Sir Samuel Backer, lived in the veritable Garden of Eden up in the hill town of Nuara Eliya. In 1849, recognizing the unquenched thirst of his fellow European patriots for their other favorite beverage (ale), he established Sri Lanka's first brewery, the Ceylon Brewery, at the foot of one of Nuwara Eliya's most beautiful waterfalls, knows as 'the Lover's Leap'.

Sir Backer set up the brewery in an effort to bring beer to the local colony dwellers and natives alike, but likely did not envision the tremendous success of the brewery, nor the fact that nearly 100 years after it was founded, his beer would find its way back to his homeland, the U.K., as a Sri Lankan export. As the brewery garnered attention from eager investors, financial contributions greatly enhanced and expanded the original brewery enterprise.

After being taken over by Murree Brewery of India in 1884, the present company was founded by Mr. G. W. Lindsay White in 1911. Under his stewardship, the brewery flourished even further, a trend that continues to this day. In order to meet expanding demand, a second brewery, the Lion Brewery Ceylon, was established in Biyagama. A spring flowing from the hills above the brewery supplies their clear, chemical-free water, and malts are obtained from the reputable maltsters in the Czech Republic, Britain and Denmark. Hops are sourced from Slovenia, and they have been using the same high quality British yeast for fermentation for more than 30 years.

So I am changing the Sugars from Kris' Dragon from Jamaican to Indian/Sri Lankan, which means Jaggery and Treacle. There's an Indian grocer a mile from here, so those ingredients are in hand.

The yeast has gone from a lager to an English Ale yeast S-05 and the Hops are now Czech. One of the sources says the hops are Styrian Goldings, so I am going with that.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #29
Revvy

Recipes 

This is what I am looking at right now, by the end of the day I need to have it all together.

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs 2 oz Brewers Malt 6-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 78.94 %
11 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4.93 %
11 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.93 %
2.31 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 35.9 IBU
2 # 2oz Jaggery Sugar (2.0 SRM) Sugar 7.48 % (Two of the "cones" pictured below.)
8.4 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3.72 %
3 oz Date Palm syrup or Date palm mollasses. [Boil for 15 min] (See picture below.)

2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes.
Bitterness: 35.9 IBU
Est Original Gravity: 1.081
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.89 %

BBBF Likes This 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #30
floyd242
Recipes 

Excellent! Looks interesting for sure.

Quick Reply