Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone have a leinenkugel's berry weiss clone recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anyone have a leinenkugel's berry weiss clone recipe

Had a six pack yesterday and loved it. Best commercial beer I've ever had. Didn't like their Octoberfest though. I checked Austin Homebrew Supply for their list of clones and struck out. Checked a few Google searches and struck out too.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
sconnie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Honestly I'm shocked that a homebrewer would love this beer, as it seems to be more like smirnoff ice than craft beer to me. It doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find a clone. But, to each his own, and if you want to brew it I can help a bit.
I've been to the Leinenkugel brewery, and this is what I know:
All of their beers, except the Big Eddie series, are lagers. This beer is made with the same recipe as their Honey Weiss, minus the honey and with a flavor extract syrup added to the beer after pasteurization. This is the difficult part, because any flavor you add will probably be fermented out to some extent.
So, a clone? 2-row malt, maybe some 6-row, and some wheat,maybe 10 percent or so, cluster hops (according to their website), fermented with a lager yeast, add some blackberry extract to the secondary.

currently brewing:
Meridian IPA
On Tap:
Bohemian Pils
Bottled:
-Baltic Porter
-Belgian Brettanomyces Amber

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm also pretty shocked by this post. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. leinenkugel's berry weiss is on my all-time "worst beers list". Its basically a crappy wine cooler. But...if you like it...

I would say it's more than 10% wheat. Probably closer to 50-60% wheat and 40-50% 2-row. Throw in some rice hauls. Is it blackberry in the beer? I've haven't tried enough to figure it out. Either way...if you want a clone, I agree, use extract. If you want it WAAAY better than Leinny's, then add real fruit.

On a side note...if you enjoyed BW, then try adding half berry weiss and half summer shandy. It's something a buddy of mine tried at the brewery and he can't get enough. It tastes like pink lemonade.

Another HERMS rig...

Last edited by Suthrncomfrt1884; 11-10-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I don't think the flavor is blackberry- it tastes more like blueberry to me. I think that a lighter 65% barley, 25%wheat, 10% honey beer, fermented with lager yeast at 50 degrees, with IBUs of about 15 would make an OK base. Then, after it's finished, some blueberry and/or raspberry extract to taste might work.

(Actually, the first (and only) time I had that beer, I keep saying, "this reminds me of something!" Later it hit me- It's Fruity Pebbles!)

Edit- I just remembered that it's NOT the Berry Weiss that I thought tasted like Fruity Pebbles- it's the Sunset Wheat. Same beer (Leinies has the same base beer for 3-4 of their beers) but a different flavoring. Sorry about getting them mixed up!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
matthewbc
Recipes 

+1 on the Sunset Wheat, delicious beer!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbc View Post
+1 on the Sunset Wheat, delicious beer!
It's a big seller around here, that's for sure. I don't personally know anybody that likes it, though.

I had an old 6 pack with one missing, but couldn't get anybody I know to drink it so I threw 5 of them out after about a year.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I don't think the flavor is blackberry- it tastes more like blueberry to me. I think that a lighter 65% barley, 25%wheat, 10% honey beer, fermented with lager yeast at 50 degrees, with IBUs of about 15 would make an OK base. Then, after it's finished, some blueberry and/or raspberry extract to taste might work.

(Actually, the first (and only) time I had that beer, I keep saying, "this reminds me of something!" Later it hit me- It's Fruity Pebbles!)

Edit- I just remembered that it's NOT the Berry Weiss that I thought tasted like Fruity Pebbles- it's the Sunset Wheat. Same beer (Leinies has the same base beer for 3-4 of their beers) but a different flavoring. Sorry about getting them mixed up!
Yes the Sunset Wheat is straight up Fruity Pebbles, Bleh. I opened one by accident one time when going for something else out of the sampler pack, I didn't have to look at the bottle when I opened it, I new I had grabed the wrong one from the moment I smelled the fruity pebble aroma.

Anyway, I think that in order to truly clone this beer, you are going to need a little more than just your standard homebrew extracts. The extract that you get at the homebrew store (if those are the ones that everyone is reffering to) are just going to add an aroma and give the perception of flavor. Pyramid does this with their Apricot Ale there is no actuall apricot flavor just aroma.

You are going to need to some how keep that berry flavor in the beer after fermentation. I would sugest killing off the yeast and using real fruit. That way it will retain the fruit sugars and give you that sweetness that is also found in the berry Weisse. Of course this would only work if you keg it. Otherwise when you bottle you would need the yeast to carb the beer.

I have also had decent luck with clod crashing my secondaries with the fruit in it and it helps to slow/halt any secondary fermentation caused by the introduction of new sugars. Did this in a Choco-Cherry Stout and it held its Cherry flavor, even in the face of all the strong stout characteristics.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, I am surprised you all don't like this, but it does sound like it would be difficult to clone. Perhaps I need to spend time with better fruit beers. This was my first. I am going to make the Requiem Raspberry; hopefully I'll like that.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnie View Post
Honestly I'm shocked that a homebrewer would love this beer, as it seems to be more like smirnoff ice than craft beer to me. It doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find a clone. But, to each his own, and if you want to brew it I can help a bit.
I've been to the Leinenkugel brewery, and this is what I know:
All of their beers, except the Big Eddie series, are lagers. This beer is made with the same recipe as their Honey Weiss, minus the honey and with a flavor extract syrup added to the beer after pasteurization. This is the difficult part, because any flavor you add will probably be fermented out to some extent.
So, a clone? 2-row malt, maybe some 6-row, and some wheat,maybe 10 percent or so, cluster hops (according to their website), fermented with a lager yeast, add some blackberry extract to the secondary.

Thank you. You think those flavor syrups you add at bottling time could help avoid fermenting out the use of extract? I don't know if these taste any good or not, or even if there's a blackberry.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Keep in mind, the fruit extract sold at your LHBS is usually a poor choice for most beers. With berry weiss, the fruit is clearly extract. Most fruit beers though, you'll want to use real fruit because the taste is 1000 times better. The extracts usually either give you a taste or aroma, but not both. The only two that I've found that work nicely are peach and raspberry.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply