Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone have a Konig Ludwig Weissbier clone recipie?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
JasonToews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Anyone have a Konig Ludwig Weissbier clone recipie?

Anyone have a Konig Ludwig Weissbier clone recipie? This is by far the best weissbier I've tried

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I haven’t had it, anything in particular you like about it? Have you brewed a Hefe before? It is very difficult to clone a beer with a distinctive yeast character without getting your hands on the strain. My weizen yeast of choice is Wyeast 3068, pitched and fermented cool (~55 ambient for the first few days, then ramping up a bit).

You can certainly add some specialty malts, touch of crystal/carafa/aromatic if it is darker, but I like 50/50 wheat malt and pils, single decoction with a rests for clove and protein, and two for saccharification. I do a long boil for more melanoidins with moderate hopping from a single addition near the start to bitter (Spalt if I can get it).

Here is the recipe/pictures of my most recent batch: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/07/all-grain-decocted-hefeweizen-recipe.html I took the other half and hopped it like an American Pale, looking forward to tapping that one soon.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you have access to bottles? As long as they don't pasteurize their exports you can harvest the yeast. That would probably be most important. I harvested SN Kellerweis yeast, and while I did not intend to make a clone, I'd have a hard time telling the difference! The yeast, and probably decoction mashing would be most important.

Quick Reply