Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone have a clue what this will taste like??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
CorporateHippie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Anyone have a clue what this will taste like??

I made a saison this weekend with Whitelabs Farmhouse Ale Yeast. Anyway, the OG was 1.065 and I decided to try an experiment. I ran another 3-4 gallons of sparge water through the mash (after I had my boil pot filled) and got a second boil pot of wort at 1.036. So I decided to brew it up and pitch WLP001 because I had some sitting around. I'm just not sure what I should expect for a flavor profile form a saison recipe with a clean yeast. any thoughts?? Here is what I am looking at.

10 lbs Belgium Pilsner Malt
2 lbs. Veinna
1lbs. Flaked Oats
.25 lbs. Caramel Malt 120L
.25 lbs. Belgian Cara 45

1 oz Cascade Leaf Hops @ 60 (its also what I had laying around)

This ended with 3 gallons in the carboy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
grainbill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 140

What you will have is small beer...very small beer..
I will typically take a second running off of high gravity batches, barleywine for example or imperials... My general rule is to collect about 1/2 as much for the boil as the actual batch. (7 to boil on the batch would be collect 3 1/2 for the small beer). You'll need to watch the sparging though, you can "leach" an over abundance of tannins from what I understand. I have not noticed this in my small beers, which are quite session-able. We're talkin 3-4%, ice cold, summer beer....

Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
CorporateHippie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainbill View Post
What you will have is small beer...very small beer..
I will typically take a second running off of high gravity batches, barleywine for example or imperials... My general rule is to collect about 1/2 as much for the boil as the actual batch. (7 to boil on the batch would be collect 3 1/2 for the small beer). You'll need to watch the sparging though, you can "leach" an over abundance of tannins from what I understand. I have not noticed this in my small beers, which are quite session-able. We're talkin 3-4%, ice cold, summer beer....
Yeah, I assumed it will be a small beer but I guess I just don't know what to expect for a flavor profile. I don't think only 1 oz of hops will make a 3-gal batch overly hoppy so I am thinking it may be near a cream ale flavor???

Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
CorporateHippie
Recipes 

Anyone else have a thought?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
dchomebrew
Recipes 

I actually just brewed a pretty similar recipe.
Mine was a 2.5 gal with 3 pounds of pilsner and 2 pounds of vienna, 1/2 oz of saaz at 60 and 1/2 oz at 15 mins.
I pitched wlp 565 and 566.

In terms of flavor, I got something really grassy and lemony, but probably had a lot to do with the yeast. Super light body, because I forgot wheat to bring some body. Overall, it's a true representation of the style. I suspect that you'll get something super crisp and spicy while being a nice drinkable beer.

Quick Reply