Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone ever use Whitelabs 051 California Ale V?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Brewess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have used California Ale White Labs 051 quite a few times with very nice results. It is great with a mild hops like Fuggle. I am using it again now for a couple of batches of ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
Beyowka
Recipes 

I bought this strain today from Morebeer Concord as a backup for my Summit IPA today in case the French ale yeast that i've put through two batches already isn't up for a third.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Robsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A buddy of mine used it in an Irish red and it turned out Great!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just brewed an Oberon clone (from this thread, though I wussed out and didn't do the decoction ) yesterday with it. I have high hopes ... if it comes out good I'm hoping to re-use this yeast on a bunch of other beers. If it is the Bell's strain it can't be too bad!

I'll post results if people want...

Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
MeanGreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
I just brewed an Oberon clone (from this thread, though I wussed out and didn't do the decoction ) yesterday with it. I have high hopes ... if it comes out good I'm hoping to re-use this yeast on a bunch of other beers. If it is the Bell's strain it can't be too bad!

I'll post results if people want...
very interested. I love the oberon but not enough to risk decoction....yet

Old 05-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
Palefire
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
very interested. I love the oberon but not enough to risk decoction....yet
yeah, i just added 0.5lbs of Munich to the recipe as is. figured that'd get me close, especially since there's some controversy about whether or not decoction on a beer like this is actually noticeable. think denny conn did some experiments in that direction.

i figure if it comes out pretty close to Oberon, I'll be happy, especially I'm on the west coast and don't have any actual Oberon to compare it to!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #17
cjever19
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Palefire, how'd that Oberon clone come out?

I have the AHS Fat Tire clone bubbling away with this yeast, trying to decide what to do next with the cake?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #18
Palefire
Recipes 

Wow, old thread! Yeah, the Oberon clone came out great. The cascades I was using were pretty old, so I didn't get that citrus-y punch from the dry hop, but otherwise it was a fine, fine beer.

I'm a big fan of this yeast. I've since used it on lots of other beers and it's always come through. As people say, it's fruitier than WLP001, and doesn't attenuate quite as much (though you can just mash a little lower if you want), but I really love the character it gives. The fruitiness really starts to come out after 2 months or so.

Really, any American-style beer will be fine to pitch the slurry into. I've made APAs, IPAs, American Browns, and even an Arrogant Bastard clone with it, and they've all been excellent. (The AB clone might have even been the best!)

Old 06-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #19
gutterman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
Wow, old thread! Yeah, the Oberon clone came out great. The cascades I was using were pretty old, so I didn't get that citrus-y punch from the dry hop, but otherwise it was a fine, fine beer.

I'm a big fan of this yeast. I've since used it on lots of other beers and it's always come through. As people say, it's fruitier than WLP001, and doesn't attenuate quite as much (though you can just mash a little lower if you want), but I really love the character it gives. The fruitiness really starts to come out after 2 months or so.

Really, any American-style beer will be fine to pitch the slurry into. I've made APAs, IPAs, American Browns, and even an Arrogant Bastard clone with it, and they've all been excellent. (The AB clone might have even been the best!)
It's 103 here in Austin, my normally cool under the stairs closet is even a bit warm, prob fermenting in the 70-72 range, any thoughts on what this will do with this yeast? It's bubbling away, throwing off the sulphur (I've experienced this before with this yeast) but not sure what to expect with the temps....

Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #20
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I brew with this all the time in the 75 f range...I live in az so it's hard to keep it much cooler than that. Great combo with Citra hops. I have a lawnmower beer that is loaded with Citra and magnums that uses this yeast. Great stuff yo

Quick Reply