The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone ever make a Rye-pilsner?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
inhousebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, decided to stay away from the flaked rye and couldn't resist staying away from a bit of crystal. Even though it says so below I dropped it down to 4 oz. Also, I've been wanting to make a red beer for a while so just for fun I dropped some carafa III in there to get it up to about 14 or 15 SRM. Going to bitter with Perle for a bit higher AAUs and then dump in some Saaz at some other points. Hope all goes well, going to get a nice big starter going tonight.

7 lbs 4.0 oz Weyermann® Bohemian Pilsner (1.9 SRM) Grain 1 72.5 %
2 lbs Briess Rye Malt (3.7 SRM) Grain 2 20.0 %
8.0 oz Carahell (11.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
4.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.5 %
1.00 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 29.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 7.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.4 IBUs
2.1 pkg Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -

I hate Walder Frey...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
JesperX
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 34 Posts

Deep Ellum Brewing in Dallas makes a Rye Pils and I love it, it became one of my go to beers. Not sure what type or percentage of rye they use but they went with all german-derived American hop varieties.

There's a balanced hop character, slightly hoppy. A nice crackery malt character that ends with some rye pepperiness. A worthy endeavor for sure, definitely let us know how yours turns out.

Primary: American Brown Ale
Kegged: American Pale Ale V2

On Deck: American Pale Ale V3
Brown Porter

Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Well, after nearly a month with the grains sitting in a bag in the basement I finally got around to doing this. Everything went alright. My efficiency was just a tad low even though I boiled off more than usual due to the cold. I think I ended with about 4.5 gallons of 1.053 wort. Cooled down to 62* before putting it in the chest freezer set to 52* for the night. I let it cool in there for maybe 12 hours before pitching the yeast and it is starting to bubble away. Crossing my fingers this turns out well. Will probably do a D-rest and then lager for two months.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #14
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Wow, well apparently it hasn't been that long since I've done this. Did a D-rest over Christmas for a handful of days and then racked to the secondary in the chest freezer where it has been lagering at 35* since then. I was rummaging around the brew area and realized I hadn't taken a gravity sample or at least didn't write one down and that it was probably ok to do so. Pulled it out and hit 1.013 landing me around 5.2% ABV. Clarity was getting there and I think I might get a decent red out of this. Because I had it open I also tossed in a bit of isinglass just to make sure it really shines when it's done.

It tasted pretty good. Spiceness from the hops and some from the rye I think but not too much. The rye definitely lends some body along with the carahell but still goes down easy. I'm actually writing this the day after so my memory is a bit foggy. I guess I'll give updates when this is done but so far so good. I think this might be a good one.

I guess I was planning on lagering for a couple months. So, maybe the beginning of March? Anyone have any advice for time frame here?

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #15
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Oh yeah, and until I come up with something better this is called the Ryesner. I think it sounds kinda cool.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

One month should be enough lagering time. I made a 45% rye lager last year as I wanted to see what rye was like when more prominent in a beer. It was interesting. LOTS of rye flavor - a bit too much in fact. It needed some sweetness to balance it out. If I were to do this again, I'd toss a bunch of Amarillo, or Citra, in. Some crystal malt might help as well.

I'm very curious to hear about your results

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
One month should be enough lagering time. I made a 45% rye lager last year as I wanted to see what rye was like when more prominent in a beer. It was interesting. LOTS of rye flavor - a bit too much in fact. It needed some sweetness to balance it out. If I were to do this again, I'd toss a bunch of Amarillo, or Citra, in. Some crystal malt might help as well.

I'm very curious to hear about your results
Interesting to hear your results/analysis. What was your basestyle lager? I was using the chezc pilsner lager yeast and though that might be weird with citrusy american hops but I did think about it.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I can't remember which yeast. I suspect Czech (800). If not that then a bock (833). Yeah I think rye plays well with citrusy hops. About halfway through the keg, I thought I would go ahead and throw some drop hops in the keg, but never got around to it.

What I really do remember from this beer was that it really needed something. It was a good base, but needed more. No off flavors, very spicy, but out of balance. The citrusy hops would have done it

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply