Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone ever have a great blueberry ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Anyone ever have a great blueberry ale?

I drink IPA's 98% of the time. I love imperial stouts and some hoppy ambers. But I have never liked a wheat and have never liked a fruit wheat beer. But..... I would really like to make a blueberry ale. I have had a few over the years and they were either not good or didn't taste like blueberries. They tasted like berries, cranberry, cherry but just not blueberry. I love blueberries and I would love to find a blueberry ale that tastes like blueberries but is not overly sweet or over the top fruity. Just a balanced hint of blueberry mixed into an ale that also has other fruit notes.

Any recommendations or commercial brews fit that bill? Thanks for the help.

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only blueberry ale that I have truly liked because it fits the description you laid out is Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale. Everything else has been an overly sweet mess in my opinion. It's an easy drinking beer with a light, but noticeable blueberry flavor to it. I brewed a Replicator clone of this. This thread has the details. Good luck! I would recommend doing a split batch, half with Oregon Fruit Puree and the other half dosing with various blueberry extracts by the glass until you get what you're shooting for.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ive made a few - keys to a good one are secondary with 3lbs per gallon then add the blueberry extract at bottling/kegging to get that "blueberry flavor". If you dont, trust me it will suck. Blueberry is such a mild flavor in Its natural state.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel
The only blueberry ale that I have truly liked because it fits the description you laid out is Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale. Everything else has been an overly sweet mess in my opinion. It's an easy drinking beer with a light, but noticeable blueberry flavor to it. I brewed a Replicator clone of this. This thread has the details. Good luck! I would recommend doing a split batch, half with Oregon Fruit Puree and the other half dosing with various blueberry extracts by the glass until you get what you're shooting for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman
Ive made a few - keys to a good one are secondary with 3lbs per gallon then add the blueberry extract at bottling/kegging to get that "blueberry flavor". If you dont, trust me it will suck. Blueberry is such a mild flavor in Its natural state.
I'll try to make a small batch of that Sea Dog and Shoreman thanks for the info about Blueberry. 3 lbs per gallon seems like a lot but like you mentioned, it's a pretty mild flavor.

Thanks Gents brew on!!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
BllShter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We have two decent blue berry's locally in MA, the Boston Beer works has short distribution so depending on location you may be able to find it, and Wachuset brewing (prob spelled it wrong) makes a decent blue berry, BBW is not as sweet and has a better base, but both work very well in black and blue's which is the best way to have a blueberry IMHO.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

My wife loves Sunset Wheat (Leinies) so we attempted a clone this summer. Turned out pretty close except for the yeast and the color. Leinies uses a clean lager yeast (seems like a lot of work for a wheat), we used German Wheat 3333 which gives it a refreshing tart after taste. Our color was a very pale pink, maybe the lightest colored beer we've made yet. Keg was gone in less than 2 weeks.

4 lbs Malted Red Wheat
4.5 lbs 2 Row Barley
0.5 oz crushed corriander (optional if you don't want this flavor)
1 zested orange peel (might go 2 next time, optional if you don't want this flavor)
0.6 oz Cluster (6.8%) FWH, 0.2 oz Cluster 60 min, 0.2 oz Cluster 30 min (17 IBU)
German Wheat 3333 yeast w/ starter

1.044 OG (pre-blueberry), 1.005 FG

Added 1 lb of frozen blueberries pastuerized at 160F for 15 minutes about 1.5 weeks into fermentation (Could go 2 lbs here if you wanted more). Allow another week of fermentation in primary. Rack to keg or bottling bucket with 2 oz blueberry extract. I see some of the amounts listed above and am amazed at how much blueberry that is. The 1 lb of frozen and 2 oz extract gave me a distinct enough taste of blueberry, but it was not right out in front either. Hop bitterness and blueberry flavor were dead on to Sunset Wheat. We'll probably make this again in the next month or two.

I think you need a combination of real blueberries and blueberry extract to get the blueberry right. Using only one will make it taste artificial.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 08-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

SWMBO is a big fan of Sweetwater's Blue. I don't like the stuff, though.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Shipyard makes a really nice one: Smashed Blueberry. According to the label, it's a hybrid Porter / Scottish Ale with a lot of blueberry presence... The Sea Dog is quite good, and Saranacs Blueberry Blonde is pretty decent.

I recently made a nice blueberry muffin ale - 5.5 gallon recipe went something like this, and got great reviews from everyone who tried it:

82% 2-row
9% Biscuit
5% rye
4% carapils
.5oz galena @ 60min
.5oz goldings @ 30 min

In secondary, I used roughly 1lb blueberries per 1 gallon beer, which gave me a bit of color, a slight aroma, and a slight blueberry finish
at kegging, I added 1oz brewer's best blueberry extract

I almost tried to add more fruit before I went with the extract - reading shoreman's post above makes me glad I didn't spend the extra time going that route...

Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

The Gilded Otter Brewpub in New Paltz, NY has the my favorite blueberry ale.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger
Shipyard makes a really nice one: Smashed Blueberry. According to the label, it's a hybrid Porter / Scottish Ale with a lot of blueberry presence... The Sea Dog is quite good, and Saranacs Blueberry Blonde is pretty decent.

I recently made a nice blueberry muffin ale - 5.5 gallon recipe went something like this, and got great reviews from everyone who tried it:

82% 2-row
9% Biscuit
5% rye
4% carapils
.5oz galena @ 60min
.5oz goldings @ 30 min

In secondary, I used roughly 1lb blueberries per 1 gallon beer, which gave me a bit of color, a slight aroma, and a slight blueberry finish
at kegging, I added 1oz brewer's best blueberry extract

I almost tried to add more fruit before I went with the extract - reading shoreman's post above makes me glad I didn't spend the extra time going that route...
I heard a basic radio podcast where the guest used about a lb per gallon and he said it still was pretty subtle. But he also mentioned that he didn't crush the blueberries. I would think you would have to crush them to get the flavor but I have never made a fruit beer never mind a blueberry one.

Quick Reply