Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone brewed Oscar Blues Gordon clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
Gibbnal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone brewed Oskar Blues Gordon clone?

Has anyone attempted to brew the Oskar Blues Gordon clone based on the Can You Brew It episode recently? Just racked mine to secondary on the Amarillo pellets. It went from 1.080 to 1.014 in nine days so all seems to be on track. Tasted the sample and it left me feeling this one has some work left to do. Anyone else brewing this?

Last edited by Gibbnal; 09-18-2009 at 02:45 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

One thing to keep in mind is that the Can You Brew It guys use some pretty fancy equipment that gives them more control over their process than most homebrewers have. Their recipes will get you close, but even if they cloned it, that doesn't mean that the same recipe will result in a clone with your system.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they may not be using the same grains and hops you are using - there are slight differences between growing regions and maltsters that, although the name of the grain is the same, will result in a slightly different taste.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never done it but it would be great if you could report back when it's done how it turned out. I bet we could get Jamil or someone from the Brewing Network to comment on whether they are using "fancy" equipment or not...

Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Gibbnal
Recipes 

Lots of variables to be sure. And my system is by no means fancy...except for my new badass boilermaker kettle.

I did my due diligence on the ingredients, hit my mash temps, OG was very close and pitched a 1.8L starter. Fermentation temp control seems to be my biggest issue right now. I can cool it off, but the temp swings a bit. It never got above 69F anyway. I will report back on the results.

As a side note, I tried to whirlpool in the new kettle and did not do so well. I ended up sending everything to the carboy. After 9 days, the sediment was still 3" deep!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Heh, even if you don't have any fancy equipment, it'll still probably get you closer than most recipes. I'm sure if you asked them, they'd give you all the info you need, malters and where they sourced hops from. I kind of wish they'd ask the brewers which maltsters/hop sources they're using on the show though. They sometimes do, or the brewer might mention one maltster, but that doesn't necessarily he's using that one for all the malt.

On the issue of fancy equipment, I wouldn't say any of the three people are really doing anything too extravagant you can't replicate from what I've seen of their setups... The guy who did the Gordon clone uses a turkey fryer setup I believe with a plate chiller. He's got a fancy temp controlled B3 conical, sure, but temp controlled carboy with a fridge or other methods will be plenty fine.

Regardless of fancy or not, no two brewers generally have the exact same equipment, and even if they did, and the ingredients were the same, they're still going to make a slightly different beer.

Last edited by SPLASTiK; 09-10-2009 at 02:49 AM.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
Gibbnal
Recipes 

So I bottled it yesterday. FG was 1.013 - right were I expected it. Big beer. Was able to keep most of the hops out of the bottling bucket. Tasted like something special, although it certainly is no clone yet. It had serious hop bite and some hot alcohol. Rye IPA was the same way. I think it will smooth out considerably over the next few weeks. More later.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
jamilz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It isn't really anything special equipment-wise. I think any all-grain setup can do it. Make sure you have:
-the ability to boil the full wort volume
-some method of rapid wort chilling
-good ferementation temperature control
-sanitation
-pitching rates
-fresh ingredients

I hope my post helped in some small way. If you need to contact me, please use email since it sometimes takes me several days to get back to the forum.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm planning on doing this one sometime in the coming year. I'm looking forward to your results.

--------------------------------------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
--------------------------------------------------

Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Gibbnal
Recipes 

Wow, was that the real Jamil Z? I just listened to 4 hours of archived Brew Strong episodes. Entertaining and informative; particularly that part about the sheep.

Wish there was more to say right now about this batch but the bottles are just sitting there in a closet. I don't know how I am going to wait until October 4. I will post my results and the exact measures, as there were a few small variations from recipe.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Please do, this is one recipe I am very interested in brewing. I just have trouble justifying dropping in 4 oz of such a high alpha hop in the end of the boil... I will probably end up doing it anyway though!

Quick Reply