Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone brewed: DK Belgian Pale Ale Limited Edition ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
HomeBrewDan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone brewed: DK Belgian Pale Ale Limited Edition ?

I just ordered "DK Belgian Pale Ale Limited Edition Extract Kit" with Wyeast 3655 PC Belgian Schelde Ale yeast from Northern Brewer. http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...tract-kit.html

Wondering if anyone has brewed this kit before?
Used this yeast before? Thoughts/tips...
What do you think of the recipe as it stands...?

Should be here Friday... I am curious about the yeast in particular. What kind of performance it may give me, and I wonder if anyone out here knows what the source of it may be....

Wyeast 3655-PC Belgian Schelde Ale Yeast
Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel and Tripel, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale, Flanders Brown/Oud Bruin
Profile: From the East Flanders - Antwerpen region of Belgium, this unique top fermenting yeast produces complex, classic Belgian aromas and flavors that meld well with premium quality pale and crystal malts. Well rounded and smooth textures are exhibited with a full bodied malty profile and mouthfeel.

Alc. Tolerance 11% ABV
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 73-77%
Temp. Range 62-74°F (16-24°C)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
HomeBrewDan
Recipes 

>>>>anyone?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
mgo737
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe the kit and yeast just came out January 1 2010. Not sure you'll get many responses...

Old 01-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
HomeBrewDan
Recipes 

Fair enough... lol.

Guess I will have to report back then... I was still hoping someone was familiar with this yeast. But maybe it is too new as well.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
HomeBrewDan
Recipes 

Default FIRST REPORT on DK Limited Edition Belgian Pale Ale

First report:

Fermenting along well.
-Ambient temp 65F Fermenting at 72F
-Brew is quite YELLOW in the carboy
-Krausen is not huge by any means
-Blowoff smells like swamp gas, not sulphury like 1007 Greman Ale, but stinky poo like swamp gas! Hope my beer doesn't taste like swamp mud, lol.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
HomeBrewDan
Recipes 

UPDATE DAY 2-3:

Foul odor is decreasing to almost none now. Sweeter aromatics are coming through.

I think this may have been the fastest, most violent fermentation I have seen so far. Pitched Sunday afternoon and on Tuesday evening I would say it is probably 85% finished fermenting. I used a smack pack with no starter.

Wort started out medium-brown/amber. Now the fermenting beer is a light tan/yellow.

The krausen never got to be very large, in fact I thought it was pretty small (~1" high in a 6.5 gallon carboy) Compared to every other batch I have done. Krausen was mostly white head-like foam with a small amount of 'brown clumps' around the outside edge. Come to think of it, the smack-pack inflated as fast as I have ever seen one inflate. After 45mins -1 hour, the smack-pack was almost ready to burst. (Thoughts?)

The sediment on the bottom of the carboy is very thin too. Maybe ~1/8" brownish-tan sediment with another ~1/8" white sediment on top of that. (I assume the white sediment IS yeast, all other yeasts I have seen so far have been tan...wtf?).