Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > anyone brew mike mcdoles pale ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Vaughn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Definitely one of my favorite brews as well. Had one batch not attenuate as low as I wanted it to, but still had the carbonation in the ball park of where I wanted it. Scale it down to a 6gal batch and give it a try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Personally I would rather just brew the IIPA and the helles* and blend the two to get this (then you have 3 beers from two brewdays). People love this recipe though.

*That's what this is, a helles and IIPA grainbill mixed in a certain proportion and IIPA hops scaled in the same proportion based on successful blending of the base beers. That is why the grainbill is kinda odd.
Cool idea but just for the record, quoted from Mike:

"As the hops start to drop off a little in your lower OG beer it will probably come more into balance. The Tasty APA uses a lot of hop additions because it originated as a light version of Pliny The Elder. In fact, it originated as a 25/75 blend of Pliny The Elder and a Dortmunder Export. I then "blended" the recipes together and that's why the beer has so much Pilsner malt. As I often recommend when making the Tasty APA, you may want to come up with a simpler hop bill."

I have this fermenting right now, can't wait to try it.
Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply