Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anybody Used Tea Leaves?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Anybody Used Tea Leaves?

I tried to search but any 3 letter word automatically gets ignored on the search box. I was thinking about using some tea leaves in a brew. I enjoy the taste of the tea, but don't want to make it bitter. Anybody know anything about this. Surely someone acrooss the pond has thought about this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Dont know anything about it but try a google search within the site.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I believe that Brewtoia has made some flavored teas and included them in brews before. I don't know how they turned out though.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59496

You can use the "*" wildcard on short search terms...like "tea*" however in this case you will get a lot of results that don't match what you are looking for since it's a fairly common letter combination.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
BakerStreetBeers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have read that thread and the tea references mostly have to do with using herb/fruit teas for adding fruit flavor to a beer. If I understand correctly, BWRIGHT is talking about is getting black tea (or green tea) flavor into a beer.

There's one that a little closer: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=60344 Dude there brewed himself a green tea IPA a couple weeks ago. No results posted yet.

I haven't tried this, but it sounds interesting. I really like tea myself. Generally the best way to avoid bitterness (or astringency) is to use high quality whole leaf tea and limit the steep time to one to two minutes.

Some types of tea have qualities that might be interesting to add to a beer. Oolong tea for example has a bit of a toasted/roasted flavor that seems like it might come through nicely. Gen Mai Cha is a green tea (often served in asian restaurants) that has roasted rice in it. If you want to get way out there, Lapsang Soochong is a black tea that is smoked -- Asian-Style Rauchbier anyone? Slightly off topic but there's a recipe for tea smoked chicken wings that uses that tea to get the smoke flavor into the chicken. It's delicious.

If you're not familiar with Kombucha, you might look into that as well. Its a tea based beverage that is cultured with a yeast and bacteria "mushroom" (not really a mushroom). It makes a tangy and tasty beverage that according to some will cure everything from acne to cancer. There's been some discussion on this board about creating a Kombucha beer -- a prospect I find very interesting. I bring it up because having made my own kombucha, there are definite similarities to beermaking : you make a gallon of hot tea, add sugar, cool it down, add your "mushroom" and wait 2-3 weeks.

Finally, there was someone who was talking about their family's recipe for hard tea, but I never saw a recipe. I imagine it's a typical southern sweet tea which is simply fermented out.

On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman

Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I'm not so much interested in adding fruit flavor as I am adding the tea flavor. I do enjoy tea but I have no idea what you're talking about Baker with all those different varieties. I just want a nice, smooth, tea flavored beer for August. Just as a nice glass of Iced tea is excellent in hot weather, I think somethin mild, low ABV, and some tea (maybe some Lemon zest as well) would be excellent in hot weather. I guess what I would like to try is a beer that has an Iced tea quality being the most abundant. Anybody has any ideas, let me have it.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
sconnie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a beer I called Chai-PA, which was brewed with Chai tea spices and darjeeling tea. The spices and hops were very strong and there really wasn't a noticeable tastes from the tea. If you do use tea, I would recommend steeping it after the boil for 2-3 minutes and then cooling the wort. If you add it into the boil it will DEFINITELY add a lot of bitterness, as tea should never be boiled if you want a smooth flavor.
For an easy drinking tea flavored beer with a theme, how about a British bitter with some English Breakfast tea? In my head those flavors might complement each other well...

currently brewing:
Meridian IPA
On Tap:
Bohemian Pils
Bottled:
-Baltic Porter
-Belgian Brettanomyces Amber

Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #8
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My dad would love this! he averages about 20 cups of tea a day!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe adding it at the end of the mash for a couple of minutes would work. I don't know how it would affect the pH, so I wouldn't add it until the end. I'd love to know how this turns out if you decide to try it.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm going to try this. I think I'm going to steep the tea along with some specialty grains. Maybe 160F for half an hour. I 'm also going to use some lemon zest and maybe some bitter orange peel. I'm going for an Iced tea type feel.

Quick Reply