Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anybody toasted oats in an oatmeal stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
johntangus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Anybody toasted oats in an oatmeal stout?

Hi, i just picked up my ingredients for an oatmeal stout and was wondering if anyone has ever toasted their flaked oats? I saw it in "Radical Brewing" and it said that it imparted an oatmeal cookie flavor (which could be enhanced by adding some cinnamon and vanilla extract). It also mentioned toasting two weeks prior to brewing to let some of the bitter aftertastes leave the oats before mashing - anyone?

Why do you want to watch TV and listen to the stereo at the same time? Because I like to party.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I haven't, but several members have. Not an easy thing to search for though. They should be kept in a paper bag at room temperature for the two weeks. If they are sealed in plastic or refrigerated, the bitter flavors won't evaporate.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do toast the oats for my oatmeal stout, however i have never waited 2 weeks to use them. I usually toast them the day of or a couple days before brewing have nothing but good results so far.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My pulldown includes a link to my oatmeal stout. I toasted 1.2 lb of flaked oats to a nice golden brown, then left them sit in a brown paper bag for two weeks (following Randy's advice). I have no idea what the effect on the beer would be if I hadn't aged them, but they did smell pretty acrid at first, and mellowed out a lot.

I'm very happy with the result, although I haven't done a scientific side-by-side to compare against the same recipe but without toasting.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did it. I have Moser's book and every recipe I have made out of it has been awesome.

With the oats I toasted double the amount required for a Kotbusser since a bunch of my ancestors are from that part of Germany. Then I made oatmeal with the toasted oats every few days from the extra half. The beer was awesome too.

If you have the time, DO IT!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #6
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I toasted oats for the last brew I did. And seeing here that a 2 week aging may be appropriate, it makes me wonder if that's the problem I have. I got a lot of oatmeal flavor, but it is much drier tasting than the reading suggests it should be, and I think that has a lot to do with the almost astringent bitterness that the oats imparted. I am currently letting it age in the keg to see if it will get a little more mellow.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 05-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #7
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Potentially useless information:

Maillard reaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quick Reply