HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anybody got a good "Sake" recipe/ process?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
EamusCatuli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anybody got a good "Sake" recipe/ process?

I was wanting to make some sake for fun. I have done some research on it and could probably do it with what I know, but I always like to ask the HBT boards first....

Does anybody have a sure-fire proven method for Sake making?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5431 Times on 4821 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Can't remember if it was Zymurgy or BYO (I am thinking BYO) but one of those did a 3 or 4 page article on the processes of making a proper Sake at home. Until I read that I was like you, considering it strongly.

FWIW, you can make a quick and dirty Sake at home on a budget. Just be prepared for your head to melt from fusel explosions.

I throroughly enjoy the subtlety of Sake. Good luck on your quest. i'll keep to buying the bottles.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2827 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I think it was byo,...

When the article came out there was a florish of threads. Here's a few from search...Search= sake of course one a few of the threads are actual "sake" the other threads just had titles like "for christ sake"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
CrunkBoner
Recipes 

Instructions and ordering specialty ingredients here
Vision Brewing's Homebrew Sake Instruction Page

I haven't tried this, sounds like too much of a pain in the neck for something that I would probably not be able to pull off anyway

Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

For some reason Revvy's search link isn't working...but it worked yesterday and via that link I found this site.

I did a quick read of the process and I have a question: His process uses a bucket and says you need to mix the stuff with your hands to break up all the clumps of rice. I was hoping to just use one of my glass carboys. Is using a glass carboy (with it's very narrow opening) just asking for a PITA sake?

I def want to try making sake. I love the stuff. I'm not sure if I go to the sushi bars for the sushi or the sake (prob the combo).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5431 Times on 4821 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
For some reason Revvy's search link isn't working...but it worked yesterday and via that link I found this site.

I did a quick read of the process and I have a question: His process uses a bucket and says you need to mix the stuff with your hands to break up all the clumps of rice. I was hoping to just use one of my glass carboys. Is using a glass carboy (with it's very narrow opening) just asking for a PITA sake?

I def want to try making sake. I love the stuff. I'm not sure if I go to the sushi bars for the sushi or the sake (prob the combo).

Most of the Sushi bars here only stock and serve a lower grade Gekkeikan Traditional and some variants (pearl, etc....). If that is the case for you as well, I urge you visit a decent bottle shop and peruse their selections for a Junmai Daigingo-Shu grade Sake. OMG, it's heaven! The grade is clean enough that you can serve it chilled without feeling like you licked a Koji cake.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That BYO article was from Taylor-Made AK over at NB and is pretty much his how to from over there (same guy that SCA linked above):

Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Morebeer has a kit now...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post

I read quite a bit of this guy's site and believe he knows what he is talking about. He joined us before but I don't think he have been here since. If I remember correctly, he offered to help anyone that wanted to contact him.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm intrigued enough to give this a shot!

Northern Brewer has the Koji spores and Sake yeast available.

Quick Reply