Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > anybody ever make a dark/black ipa?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default anybody ever make a dark/black ipa?

i know that the word "dark" and "pale" don't really go together, so maybe this is a style that already exists under another name, and i'm just not familiar with it.

what i'm curious about, as dumb as it may seem, is making a beer that looks like a java stout, as far as the color, like really dark, black, but tastes completely like a nice, hoppy ipa, like stone ipa for example.

i would assume this could be doable, by using some dark roasted malts that impart only color, but no flavors, and then just hop it like an ipa, but i don't know. thought i'd ask here for some advice, experience, whatever, before i tried one myself.

my bar build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawbrewing View Post
i know that the word "dark" and "pale" don't really go together, so maybe this is a style that already exists under another name, and i'm just not familiar with it.
You could call it an India Black Ale if it makes you more comfortable. It's actually pretty trendy right now, I have been seeing these at just about every beer competition and tasting going on recently. The best one I have had so far was the Black Hatter at New Holland about 3 years ago.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
You could call it an India Black Ale if it makes you more comfortable. It's actually pretty trendy right now, I have been seeing these at just about every beer competition and tasting going on recently. The best one I have had so far was the Black Hatter at New Holland about 3 years ago.

once again, i think i've come up with a cool, fresh, interesting idea, only to find out it's already happening. like the time i thought i invented the internet, and french kissing.

so does anybody have a recipe for something like this? or good advice on what malts to use to impart a black color to the beer without effecting taste? and should i just add whatever grains those are to an existing ipa recipe, or should those "dark" grains be replacing other grains in the "regular" ipa recipe?

my bar build

Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, there is pretty much NOTHING that hasn't been done somewhere by someone. A couple times I have thought I came up with something totally unique only to find some commercial brewery did it already after I brewed it. Don't let it keep you down though, cause you can always put your own twist on it and try to do it better than the previous brewer.

The best way to keep the flavor to a minimum might be this stuff:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/sinamar-4-oz.html
I have never tried it but I have heard it adds very little flavor.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A friend of mine in my brewclub just brought a bottle he made using, like, every hop known to man. My thoughts were that the roast made the hop intensity more palatable... but then, I'm not a big fan of hoppy beers, so anything that introduces a roastiness or maltiness is welcome in my book!

What also sold it was that he made it a very light body, which makes it more quaffable.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsloan View Post
A friend of mine in my brewclub just brought a bottle he made using, like, every hop known to man. My thoughts were that the roast made the hop intensity more palatable... but then, I'm not a big fan of hoppy beers, so anything that introduces a roastiness or maltiness is welcome in my book!

What also sold it was that he made it a very light body, which makes it more quaffable.
Aye - and he posted his recipe here.

Sinamar is made from Carafa II, I believe. Lots of SRM with zero flavor contribution.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Up here in the PNW we like to call them Cascadian Dark Ales. Here's another thread I found on the subject.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/casc...carafa-126215/

Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
noblesquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I'll get my recipe up soon, but the key is to just color it and give it a kiss of roast. I like dehusked Carafa-III and a touch of Black Patent. I don't recall exactly how much I used, but I wanna say maybe 3oz of the Carafa and an ounce of BP. And use super assertive hops and at a higher rate than usual if you want to eliminate any roasty flavors. I went with Simcoe & Amarillo, though Centennial would work quite well.

Brian
BJCP - C0839 Master/Mead Judge

HOPS! Homebrewers' Pride of the Southside

Old 11-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is a good recipe by Mike "Tasty" McDole for a dark IPA, or whatever you want to call it. I tried it at the GABF this year, Russian River brewed it for their Pro-Am beer and called it a black IPA, it was great. http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=7071

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale was a Black IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
This is what I got directly from Stone Brewery about a month ago. Have not brewed it up yet, but will very soon. XI is by far one of my top favorites.

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale Recipe

Grain Bill:

90% pale malt

5% 60°L Crystal

5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

OG target is 20.5°P (1.082 SG) Terminal Gravity target is 4°P (1.016 SG)

Hops:

Bittering at start of boil: 100% Chinook

Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo

Target 120 IBU’s.

Ferment with good ale yeast. We used our house yeast.

Dry-Hop with 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, use LOTS! (we used 1 ½ pounds per barrel).

Good luck and enjoy. Post up if you brew it, let us know how it is.

Quick Reply