Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > any thoughts on my pumpkin stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
Some Dumb Jerk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default any thoughts on my pumpkin stout?

well, it's not exactly a stout, but it's dark. this started as a regular pumpkin ale, and then at my local homebrew supply, we decided that it should be a dark beer. so we used 1lb. of munton chocolate, 1lb. of cara red. let that steep at 170F for 25min. then added that and 8lbs. of mountmelick light malt extract, 2 30oz. cans of libby's pumpkin pie mix. let it boil for 30min, added 1oz. williamete hop pellets (3.8%) and 15min later added another oz of williamette. during the final 5 mins added 1 and a half teaspoons of cinnamon. i let the wort chill and pitched the yeast (dry american ale yeast, Safale's i think). had an original gravity of 1.062. i hope it turns out well, just wondering if anybody else tried anything like it. thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Welcome to the HBT

Looks like a good recipe. I've found that adding some nutmeg also gives some nice pumpkin-type flavor. Sounds like more of a brown ale to me, but it should be a pretty good beer.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 10-26-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There has been a bonanza of pumpkin recipes lately, please do let us know how it comes out.

Not familiar with Libby's pumpkin pie filling. If your ferment stalls or lags you might check for (yeast inhibiting) preservatives on that label. If your ferment runs OK it ought to be at least derinkable.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
tandpbrewing
Recipes 

yeah, i got advice to go with the Libby's canned pumpking NOT the Libby's pumpkin pie filling.

My pumpkin ale is in secondary right now, its a nasty consistency but smells delicious.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Steiner
Recipes 

I've used Libby's canned pumpkin before with no problems. Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. I'd brew one myself, but last time I made a pumpkin ale, nobody had ever heard of such a thing even after I brought back a 6er of commercial pumpkin ale for comparison. End of the story- I drank it all myself. Pretty good, but it was a lot. Welcome to the forum SDJ and keep us posted.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

you might want to stay a shade under 170 for you steep. 170 is suppose to extract tannin's from what I've heard.

Quick Reply