Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Any Ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Any Ideas?

HAIL ALL!! How does this recepie sound?

5 lbs amber DME
5 lbs light DME
4 lbs Honey

2 oz Cascade hops @ 6.6% for 90min
2 oz Mt Hood hops @ 5% for 45 min
1 oz Fuggles hops @ 5.1% for 10 min
2 oz Crystal hops @ 3.5% dry hopped in 2nd fermenter

plus some lemon zest.

Never played with honey, I have read about skimming... what does this mean? Do I boil it first and skim crap off the top, add the malt and procede like you would with an ale? I also want to give just enough of a lemon flavor that you think you might taste it, but you're not sure if you do or not. How much should I use. Should I cut up a lemon for it or order some dried online somewhere? Should I use more aggressive hops to balance the malts and honey or would this be fine? My apologies for all the newbie questions. Anyhow, all this talk of beer has me in the mood to crack one open. Catch ya later.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I just ran your recipe through ProMash and I get an OG of 1.126 and 79.6 IBUs for a 5 gallon batch. That is going to be one big beer. I wouldn't say barley wine because of the honey which ferments out almost completely. I'm estimating an ABV of about 14 or 15%. Your hop bitterness of 79.6 IBUs is probably good due to the high gravity.
Sounds like it might be a good recipe but it will take a long time to be ready (6 months to a year). What type yeast were you planning on using? I've never made anything with this high an ABV but you are going to need a yeast that is very alcohol tolerant.
I'm sure some folks who have made higher gravity beers will chime in and be able to give you more advice.
Good luck and enjoy!

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you boil honey you get proteins, wax and bee body parts floating around that should be skimmed off of the surface. If you brew your wort with hops floating around you will also skim them away.

I'd recommend boiling your honey seperately in 1 gal of water no longer than 15 mins if you want to maintain any honey flavor.

You can add it to the wort at the end of the boil or into the primary.

Quick Reply