Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > any household items to lower mash pH?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
bkov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default any household items to lower mash pH?

i have to get some 5.2 next time i order but i was going to brew tommorow, are there any household items i can add to the mash to lower the pH but not affect the final flavor? my tap water pH is 7.6

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, there is - dilute your tap water with RO/distilled water and/or increase the percentage of crystal/dark specialty malts to lower the mash pH.

The only other household item I can think of is citric acid but that will likely leave a residual taste in the beer.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 03-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Lactic Acid, Acidulated (sour) malt, gypsum...I can't really think of anything I would have sitting around. This looked interesting:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Balancing the Malts and Minerals

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Probably not unless you are into home canning tomatoes and maybe have some calcium chloride hanging around. First, however, a couple of questions: how do you know you need to lower the mash pH? Have you measured it previously? What kind of beer are you brewing and what is your water profile?

The pH of the water itself doesn't tell you much and in fact is of little importance. It is the interaction between the level of various brewing water ions, the water's residual alkalinity along with the type and ratios of malt types in the recipe that will determine the pH of the mash. If you don't already have one get a water report from your water supplier. Knowing what is in your water is the first step in making the proper adjustments for good brewing.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

What biged said. Grain has buffering power so if you measured your mash PH, you'd see closer to 5.2.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply