Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Any Founder's Porter clone recipes or info?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #41
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Here's a pic of the AHS all grain kit I brewed in September. It's fantastic (first pour in a month). Definitely some chocolate, roasty and hop bitterness but a hint of caramel and almost medium body balance it. I'm surprised at how rich and creamy it is given the 150F mash temp, must be the MO.

image-2456954080.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #42
greenleaf586
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewed this one today. Looking forward to comparing it to the original. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #43
jad814
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wanted to post to say thanks to everyone's notes/advice til now on this recipe. I brewed this recipe yesterday, and will stop back to let people know how it turned out.

I did have to go with Hallertau instead of Crystal as my local homebrew store just happened to be out of Crystal, but I'm sure it'll work out fine!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #44
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrawler View Post
Found it:

We use a large percentage of specialty grains in this one… try about 10% Chocolate Malt, 7% Munich, 5% Carapils, and 3% Crystal Dark. I also throw in a little bit of Black Malt for a slightly burnt character. Mash in around 155 degrees and target an OG between 17 and 18 Plato. We use Nugget hops for bittering and Willamette and Crystal for flavor/finishing hops, targeting 45 IBUs. Ferment with an American yeast and it should terminate between 5 and 6 Plato, leaving you with 6.5% ABV and a full bodied robust Porter. Good luck, hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jeremy Kosmicki
Head Brewer
FBC

Made this last night, with Golden Promise as the base and used WLP007, because I prefer it to Cal Ale yeast.

Bubbling away this morning, cant wait to get this one on tap. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
badd99
Recipes 

Can anyone give me a rough idea the cost of this in a partial mash?

Is the AHS kit over priced?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #46
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Well that hopville link is also my recipe. I love this beer. I've brewed it three times with slight variations on the theme. Standard chocolate malt is best, and closest to the Founder's recipe. I just subbed the Crystal out of necessity that first batch, and it wasn't a significant flavor impact. For yeast I think that WLP001 Cal Ale gets closest to a clone, but I really like the WLP002 English ale character with it too.

I can tell you that I also e-mailed the brewer, and I actually took my percentages from his response. The exact malts weren't specified to the color or supplier, but he gave me a lot to work with.

Let me know how it turns out. This one is in my regular home rotation now.
Where are you getting 127*L for standard? My standard chocolate American malt is 350, and even pale chocolate is more than 127.

Now I'm not sure how much to add.... I bought 3 lbs of standard 350*L (enough for 15 gallons). Based on some other recipes I've found, it looks like 1.x lbs of standard at 350 is correct, so I think your color might be off on that.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 07-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #47
kalmah21
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Forgot I even posted this. I made a great clone, thanks to a an awesome response from Founder's when I e-mailed them for help. Here's my recipe for 5 gallons finished beer:

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
10 oz Carapils
6 oz Crystal 120 L
4 oz Black Patent

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
75 Minute Boil

Hops:
60 min - 0.75 oz Nugget (12.2%)
20 min - 0.75 oz Hallertau (4.5%) and 0.75 Willamette (4.9%)
Flameout - 0.25 oz Hallertau and 0.25 oz Willamette

For yeast, I used WLP001.

I intentionally made a final beer was a bit drier and thinner than Founder's, but the aroma and flavor were dead on. It was one of my best beers. I will definitely make it again, but I think I'll switch the base malt for Marris Otter next time and mash a couple of degrees higher. The also use Crystal hops, not Hallertau, but that was a substitution by necessity that turned out just fine. The hop flavor is not that predominant with all the malt flavors taking over.

Enjoy!

I brewed this using Wyeast 1056. My LHBS had all of hops called for so no substitutions there. I emailed Founders for carbonation level. They carb their Porter to 2.4 vols. I carbonated to about 2.4 in the keg and just poured a glass tonight. I didn't have any Founders Porter for a blind taste test, but I have had the real deal many times. This recipe is spot on! Thank you to for sharing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 11-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #48
jjhavokk
Recipes 

New to the boards. Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome recipe. I brewed the extract version of the recipe a few weeks back. Bottled it last night and it was amazing even flat and at room temperature. Can't wait to see what it's like in a couple weeks.

Cheers

Quick Reply