Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Any Founder's Porter clone recipes or info?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #21
pinkfloyd4ever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

pshh, 2 vessel fermentation is SO 2008. 3-4 weeks in the primary is what all the experts (i.e. Jamil Zainasheff, John Palmer, Mike McDole, all the people on here with over 20000 posts) recommend nowadays anyway. Plus, isn't there plenty of winter left after mid-january? If not, you could certainly send any excess beer to me and I will dispose of it properly

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #22
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post
Well first of all, Nemesis is far from your typical barleywine. Which year of Nemesis did you have, and when? I don't think I've ever heard this year's Nemesis described as smooth, and last year's was apparently very hot fresh but has mellowed out a lot, so I suspect you may have had '09 Nemesis fairly recently. Also, I don't find porters and barleywines all that similar. However, Founders Porter is very hoppy for a porter. So if the only porter you've had is Founders, and the only 'barleywine' you've had was Nemesis, I guess I could see where you might think they're similar. But again, neither are typical for their style.

Also, I think people's definition of "smoothness" in a beer varies greatly. What exactly do you mean by making it smoother? If you mean less hoppy, I'd go with a Fullers Porter clone. If you mean less chewy, lighter bodied, or drier, you could mash at a lower temp (but see psychobrawler's comment on that above) or use less carapils, or both. Personally, I love Founders Porter the way it is, so I made it exactly as per the above recipe. To each his own though, of course.

btw, I see that you're in StL. Are you on stlhops.com?
I have 2010 Nemesis actually. They just got it in, and only had 1 4-pack left. You're right, smoothness is definitely perceived differently depending on the person. I thought the Nemesis had a nice rich porter/wee heavy taste but it wasn't really chewy. It was a little lighter bodied(even though it was dark and somewhat heavy) but seemed more drinkable than a stout or really roasty porter. I'm NOT looking for creamy/milky smooth, like in a milk stout, just a smooth lighter body beer with a big flavor.

I'm more of a Pale Ale/IPA/Brown drinker, so I've just recently been getting into the porter/stout/barleywines. I really like the dark, but drinkable style, and I think thats why I'm leaning more on a barleywine/porter.

I'm not "on" STLhops.com, but I have checked it out before. I saw a guy STLbrew on here, that was informing me of some clubs around here. Whats up with STLhops? I'd love to meet some people in the area, that are in the hobby. I've got a few brew buddies that had never brewed until with me, but it would be nice to share some experiences, methods & ideas with others in the area, who DO brew.

Thanks for the reply! I might just have to try this recipe for now. If anyone has any other suggestions to help me round out/tweak a similar recipe, let me know
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrawler View Post
Forgot I even posted this. I made a great clone, thanks to a an awesome response from Founder's when I e-mailed them for help. Here's my recipe for 5 gallons finished beer:

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
10 oz Carapils
6 oz Crystal 120 L
4 oz Black Patent

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
75 Minute Boil

Hops:
60 min - 0.75 oz Nugget (12.2%)
20 min - 0.75 oz Hallertau (4.5%) and 0.75 Willamette (4.9%)
Flameout - 0.25 oz Hallertau and 0.25 oz Willamette

For yeast, I used WLP001.

I intentionally made a final beer was a bit drier and thinner than Founder's, but the aroma and flavor were dead on. It was one of my best beers. I will definitely make it again, but I think I'll switch the base malt for Marris Otter next time and mash a couple of degrees higher. The also use Crystal hops, not Hallertau, but that was a substitution by necessity that turned out just fine. The hop flavor is not that predominant with all the malt flavors taking over.

Enjoy!
WLP001 in an English porter, never would have thunk that
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #24
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
WLP001 in an English porter, never would have thunk that
I don't think Founders is considered an English Porter. Definitely American
BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #25
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just brewed this since I LOVE LOVE LOVE Founder's Porter. I actually had to make the same sub of Hallertau for Crystal, but I'm not to worried about it. Can't wait to have this in my glass!

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #26
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tasted my clone side-by-side with the real thing and it is damn close. Good luck! What yeast did you use?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #27
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post
I tasted my clone side-by-side with the real thing and it is damn close. Good luck! What yeast did you use?
Which version of the recipe did you end up using? I've done a couple of slight variations of this now, and all have been fantastic. It's become one of my regulars.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #28
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrawler View Post
Which version of the recipe did you end up using? I've done a couple of slight variations of this now, and all have been fantastic. It's become one of my regulars.
Your hopville recipe but with regular [i.e. dark] chocolate malt and Crystal instead of Hallertau hops

so for those keeping track, that's

73% 9lb 8oz American Two-row Pale
10% 1lb 4oz American Chocolate
8% 1lb 0oz Munich Malt
5% 0lb 10oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
3% 0lb 6oz Crystal 120L
2% 0lb 4oz Black (Patent) Malt

60 mins 0.75 Nugget 12.2%
20 mins 0.75 Crystal 4.3%
20 mins 0.75 Willamette 4.5%
1 min 0.25 Crystal 4.3%
1 min 0.25 Willamette 4.5%

For yeast I used 1 pkt of rehydrated Safale US-05

Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #29
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That's exactly the recipe I used, but Hallertau instead of Crystal and used S-05 as well. It's fermenting away...will post my thoughts after it's kegged.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale

Old 04-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #30
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I just kegged mine on Friday. I haven't done a side-by-side yet but I've had the real thing many times and this tastes about spot-on!

Quick Reply