Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Any Founder's Porter clone recipes or info?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
skibb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 51

dang thats a really helpful email! I wonder how forthcoming they are with other recipes...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Well they have a detailed KBS recipe in Zymurgy, so they seem pretty open. I'd love to get a Dirty Bastard and Red's Rye P.A. recipe, but really didn't want to be that guy e-mailing them constantly and asking for more. I was very happy with this one.

They are hands down one of my favorite breweries. There aren't many out there that have as many different beers that I really love. Dirty Bastard, Red's Rye, the porter, Breakfast stout, KBS, even Cerise - their cherry ale (and I don't really like fruit beers.) They just do a great job across the board.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mashing at 155 doesn't make it too sweet? I guess I'm just worried cause this will only be my 3rd AG batch and the first two I mashed at 149 & 150

hmm I've been looking for a good Red's Rye clone too for awhile. Maybe I'll email them next week

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

It's not so much sweet as heavier. Their porter is a pretty full bodied beer. I lowered it the first time out of the same concern and got a thinner and drier beer. It was still good, but lacked some of the creaminess and heft the Founder's beer has. I raised it to 155 on my second batch and it's definitely much closer, and a better beer.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thinking of doing a porter soon. I want a nice smooth dark beer for X-mas time. I was kind of leaning towards a barleywine, but don't want to wait a year to drink it at the moment, and I think porters seem to be a similar character, except the barleywine (only one I've had was Founder's Nemesis) seems to be a little smoother and slightly less roasted. I might have to try this recipe, as I've had Founder's Porter, and its definitely a great beer, even though it looks like motor oil, I didn't find it TOO thick or chewy, even though I like to chew on my beer from time to time Any suggestions to making it "smoother" like a barleywine, or do you say to go for this exactly as-is?

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Austin Homebrew just added a Founders Porter Clone

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=12744

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 10-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapa View Post
Thinking of doing a porter soon. I want a nice smooth dark beer for X-mas time. I was kind of leaning towards a barleywine, but don't want to wait a year to drink it at the moment, and I think porters seem to be a similar character, except the barleywine (only one I've had was Founder's Nemesis) seems to be a little smoother and slightly less roasted. I might have to try this recipe, as I've had Founder's Porter, and its definitely a great beer, even though it looks like motor oil, I didn't find it TOO thick or chewy, even though I like to chew on my beer from time to time Any suggestions to making it "smoother" like a barleywine, or do you say to go for this exactly as-is?
Well first of all, Nemesis is far from your typical barleywine. Which year of Nemesis did you have, and when? I don't think I've ever heard this year's Nemesis described as smooth, and last year's was apparently very hot fresh but has mellowed out a lot, so I suspect you may have had '09 Nemesis fairly recently. Also, I don't find porters and barleywines all that similar. However, Founders Porter is very hoppy for a porter. So if the only porter you've had is Founders, and the only 'barleywine' you've had was Nemesis, I guess I could see where you might think they're similar. But again, neither are typical for their style.

Also, I think people's definition of "smoothness" in a beer varies greatly. What exactly do you mean by making it smoother? If you mean less hoppy, I'd go with a Fullers Porter clone. If you mean less chewy, lighter bodied, or drier, you could mash at a lower temp (but see psychobrawler's comment on that above) or use less carapils, or both. Personally, I love Founders Porter the way it is, so I made it exactly as per the above recipe. To each his own though, of course.

btw, I see that you're in StL. Are you on stlhops.com?
BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This looks good.. too bad I didn't make one before winter set in.

Too late for that

Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd138 View Post
This looks good.. too bad I didn't make one before winter set in.

Too late for that
WHAT?? It's not even November yet. I know Chicago is a little colder than StL, but still...you could make it this weekend and be drinking it by Thanksgiving if you keg, and definitely before Christmas if you bottle

Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't keg and Im going to be gone the next couple weekends.

So that means Id brew 2nd weekend of november.. Primary for 3 weeks, Secondary 2 weeks, bottle for 3 weeks. Thats middle of January.

Any time I have done a dark beer, I've let it go in the primary for 3 weeks then secondary for 2 to clear it.

Quick Reply