New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Any Founder's Porter clone recipes or info?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
psychobrawler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Any Founder's Porter clone recipes or info?

I just had my first Founder's Porter, and I've got to say it's absolutely the best porter I've ever set my lips to. Absolutely phenomenal with a great roasty, coffee taste that feels full and creamy and finishes dry. I'd love to try and brew this. Anyone have a clone recipe or done something close?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

bump! Looking hard for a clone myself...

Old 05-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Forgot I even posted this. I made a great clone, thanks to a an awesome response from Founder's when I e-mailed them for help. Here's my recipe for 5 gallons finished beer:

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
10 oz Carapils
6 oz Crystal 120 L
4 oz Black Patent

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
75 Minute Boil

Hops:
60 min - 0.75 oz Nugget (12.2%)
20 min - 0.75 oz Hallertau (4.5%) and 0.75 Willamette (4.9%)
Flameout - 0.25 oz Hallertau and 0.25 oz Willamette

For yeast, I used WLP001.

I intentionally made a final beer was a bit drier and thinner than Founder's, but the aroma and flavor were dead on. It was one of my best beers. I will definitely make it again, but I think I'll switch the base malt for Marris Otter next time and mash a couple of degrees higher. The also use Crystal hops, not Hallertau, but that was a substitution by necessity that turned out just fine. The hop flavor is not that predominant with all the malt flavors taking over.

Enjoy!

Old 05-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sweet, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Yeahman99
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Can you help me convert this to a partial mash?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I used 70% efficiency for my calculations. Just swap the 2 row for 6.7 lbs of light DME, the munich for 0.7 lbs munich DME, and steep the remaining malts.

I did this again recently using Marris Otter and English ale yeast, and it's fantastic. Considering some competition entry with this brew.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm glad to see there are at least a few others brewing this. I can't believe how little info there is on the net for this awesome and widely available of a beer. Anyway, I'm gonna be brewing it on Sunday with this recipe, http://hopville.com/recipe/161099/robust-porter-recipes/founders-porter-clone but using the recommended Crystal hops rather than Hallertau.

BUUUUT I got standard dark chocolate malt (500*L) rather than the pale chocolate in the above recipe. To anyone who's brewed it, did you you use regular or pale chocolate malt? Also, what yeast? I'll be using Safale US-05

I also just found this recipe on the NB forums. http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86080&p=799639&hilit=founders+ porter#p799328 Has anyone tried it?

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well that hopville link is also my recipe. I love this beer. I've brewed it three times with slight variations on the theme. Standard chocolate malt is best, and closest to the Founder's recipe. I just subbed the Crystal out of necessity that first batch, and it wasn't a significant flavor impact. For yeast I think that WLP001 Cal Ale gets closest to a clone, but I really like the WLP002 English ale character with it too.

I can tell you that I also e-mailed the brewer, and I actually took my percentages from his response. The exact malts weren't specified to the color or supplier, but he gave me a lot to work with.

Let me know how it turns out. This one is in my regular home rotation now.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Is it possible for you to post the email founders sent you about the porter recipe?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Found it:

We use a large percentage of specialty grains in this one… try about 10% Chocolate Malt, 7% Munich, 5% Carapils, and 3% Crystal Dark. I also throw in a little bit of Black Malt for a slightly burnt character. Mash in around 155 degrees and target an OG between 17 and 18 Plato. We use Nugget hops for bittering and Willamette and Crystal for flavor/finishing hops, targeting 45 IBUs. Ferment with an American yeast and it should terminate between 5 and 6 Plato, leaving you with 6.5% ABV and a full bodied robust Porter. Good luck, hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jeremy Kosmicki
Head Brewer
FBC

Quick Reply