The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Another "Stable" Recipe In the Books...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
So urinal cake hooch is ok then?
Depends on the scent of the cake.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
shunoshi

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, this beer sounds really intriguing. I'm trying to picture basil and beer together, but can't quite wrap my head around it. I may have to swap you for some sometime. I have a winter ale that's been bulk conditioning for a couple months and will hit the bottle at the end of the month. I think that could do the trick.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunoshi
Wow, this beer sounds really intriguing. I'm trying to picture basil and beer together, but can't quite wrap my head around it. I may have to swap you for some sometime. I have a winter ale that's been bulk conditioning for a couple months and will hit the bottle at the end of the month. I think that could do the trick.
Yeah, it's hard to really get without tasting it. All I can say is that basil has some characteristics like hops, with that touch of licorice.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I'll probably just pick up the stuff at the store, only 4 or 5 bucks, and worth it for some good beer. Can't decide if I should add a pinch of cinnamon or not though. Does the cinnamon flavor of the basil come through pretty strong in yours, Evan?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #15
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Yeah, it's hard to really get without tasting it. All I can say is that basil has some characteristics like hops, with that touch of licorice.

Defintiely love that licorice flavor. I had to kill HALF of our basil crop....they tried to take over (Probably 4 feet of SOLID basil plants....blocked the lawnmower)....but we still have a healthy amount of basil (Ya got me on the variety, probably 2 types).... What advice can you give while I still got my crop??????

Old 10-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
I'll probably just pick up the stuff at the store, only 4 or 5 bucks, and worth it for some good beer. Can't decide if I should add a pinch of cinnamon or not though. Does the cinnamon flavor of the basil come through pretty strong in yours, Evan?
It's extremely subtle...even moreso in the IPA version where the hop flavor/aroma is strong. I've never done it with cinnamon, but I bet a pinch wouldn't be a bad thing.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #17
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
Defintiely love that licorice flavor. I had to kill HALF of our basil crop....they tried to take over (Probably 4 feet of SOLID basil plants....blocked the lawnmower)....but we still have a healthy amount of basil (Ya got me on the variety, probably 2 types).... What advice can you give while I still got my crop??????
More than likely some of it is sweet italian...which works very well in beer. The other popular variety is Thai, but its leaves are smooth and the bolting buds are purple...so that's how you know.

Advice? Use it, baby! Make some basil beer, and do it fast, because that stuff dies quickly. Follow my recipe or something close to it, and I promise you will not be disappointed. Those cup measurements are loosely packed, BTW. Victory & Honey malts are a couple of my favorites...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-06-2007, 03:33 AM   #18
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks, bro! I'll probably have to get with it....it's starting to cool off outside....

Quick Reply