Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Another Pale Ale recipe review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
akajdg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another Pale Ale recipe review

So I brewed two extract kits and got bored and have been self teaching myself from all of the kick butt info on this site. I put together an all grain recipe for a Pale Ale... I know, going both feet in

Here is my grain bill and hop schedule, will be using the typical 10 gallon cooler with a bazooka screen.

10lbs Pale Malt (2 row)
1lb Crystal Malt 80L
.50oz Citra 90min
.50oz Citra 20min
1.00oz Ahtanum 5min
1.00oz Ahtanum 1min
1.00oz Ahtanum flame out
WLP001 - no starter

according to Beersmith my SG is at 1.057 and Est FG is 1.012

Will be mashing in with 14qt of 167degree water for 60min
then two sparges of 1.5gallon each at 168

Mucho gracias for your feedback!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
mistermateo
Recipes 

Sounds like a winner to me! I love Citra hops and i have heard that Ahtanum are just as good. Having a pound of crystal 80 is going to add a good amount of color should be a nice copper to amber.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Recipe looks good... although I've not yet used Ahtanum ... the form looks groovy.

Is this your first attempt at AG? I would recommend putting your mash water in the mash tun (cooler) first, and letting it sit for 10 minutes to warm up. Then add the grain to the water.... rather than adding water to the grain.

In Beersmith, if you uncheck the 'Adjust Temp for Equip' box near your mash profile, it will tell you the temp the water in the heated up tun should be at just before you add the grains. This makes it a bit easier to hit your mash step temp for a single infusion mash with a coolor. e.g. your cooler has already been heated up by the mash water, and so the only thing left is the heat absorption of the grain... which Beersmith has calculated for you. I find that if I measure the water temp just before adding the grain, and it matches the unchecked Beersmith temp, the dough-in is really spot-on. YMMV...

Good luck!
--lexuschris

Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
akajdg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermateo View Post
Sounds like a winner to me! I love Citra hops and i have heard that Ahtanum are just as good. Having a pound of crystal 80 is going to add a good amount of color should be a nice copper to amber.
Thanks man, I'm really hoping for some good color with the crystal 80. Now I feel better.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
akajdg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusChris View Post
Recipe looks good... although I've not yet used Ahtanum ... the form looks groovy.

Is this your first attempt at AG? I would recommend putting your mash water in the mash tun (cooler) first, and letting it sit for 10 minutes to warm up. Then add the grain to the water.... rather than adding water to the grain.

In Beersmith, if you uncheck the 'Adjust Temp for Equip' box near your mash profile, it will tell you the temp the water in the heated up tun should be at just before you add the grains. This makes it a bit easier to hit your mash step temp for a single infusion mash with a coolor. e.g. your cooler has already been heated up by the mash water, and so the only thing left is the heat absorption of the grain... which Beersmith has calculated for you. I find that if I measure the water temp just before adding the grain, and it matches the unchecked Beersmith temp, the dough-in is really spot-on. YMMV...

Good luck!
--lexuschris
Beersmith has made things so much easier, and with your suggestion I think that makes a lot more sense as this will be my first AG beer. Truly appreciate the feedback!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Is there a good reason to boil the Citra (and the wort) for 90 minutes? I did mine for 60 and got good bittering.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A couple of things.
Why no starter with the WLP001? I think you would get better results with a starter.
I think you are going to be a bit short on volume.
Ignoring any dead space, and using the standard grain absorption figures from Beersmith or Promash, you would have just over 5 gallons pre-boil. I think you will need roughly another 1.5 gallons of sparge water to get a 5g batch.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply