Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Amylase powder: Alpha or Beta ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
spinoza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Amylase powder: Alpha or Beta ?

Is "amylase powder" sold by brew supply companies: Alpha or Beta Amylase ?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=447

"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne."

— Kurt Vonnegut (Breakfast of Champions)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Alpha, which works at fermentation temperatures. Just takes longer, but then, so does the fermentation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
spinoza
Recipes 

Hi David,
Sounds like maybe Beta-Amylase based on temperature characteristics ??

Austin HomeBrew description:
"Amylase enzyme is a naturally occurring enzyme that is used to aid in the conversion of starches to sugars in the all grain brewing process. It is especially helpful in low malt lighter beers. This enzyme will begin to denature at temperatures above 149 F (65 C). At temperatures around 158 F (70C), the enzyme will denature after about 60 minutes."

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=447

"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne."

Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
greggor
Recipes 

I used Beta amylase powder with great success for a stuck fermentation 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons if I remember right. Mine was Crosby Baker purchased from the local homebrew shop. I started a thread here a while back detailing how I used the enzymes.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggor View Post
I used Beta amylase powder with great success for a stuck fermentation 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons if I remember right. Mine was Crosby Baker purchased from the local homebrew shop. I started a thread here a while back detailing how I used the enzymes.
Really, you found beta amylase? I'm doing experiments on gluten free grains, but all I have is alpha and gama amylase. Would you be willing to ship me some?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
spinoza
Recipes 

I have come across something called "Attenuzyme" which is a mix of enzymes for brewers, and includes Alpha-amylase, which i have never used, but i want Beta-amylase.

Attenuzyme Flex is a high-performing, fast-acting combination of glucoamylase, specific alpha-amylase, and an innovative debranching enzyme (patent pending)

http://www.beveragedaily.com/smartle...sistent-simple

http://www.novozymes.com/en/MainStru...yme/Attenuzyme

Old 05-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

No, it's alpha. Beta de-natures in 40-60 minutes at 150F, much faster at 158F. That's one big reason higher temperatures mean a less fermentable wort. Unless a product explicitly says it's beta (or a mix), assume alpha. That's much more common.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply