Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American Pale Ale - with a twist

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #21
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

After a five week primary fermentation and 1 week carbonating in the bottle I cracked on of these today. Wow, totally not what I was expecting. Super head retention, crystal clear copper color, light citrus aroma but a major "german" aroma from the WLP029. The hops are very subdued, and you have to concentrate to find them. This is a very dry beer, but has enought malt/caramel backbone to just make you want to drink more. Very well balanced, but just a little on the bitter side of the coin. It just has this flavor that you can't get from American yeast...the WLP029 just gives it that distinctive "green bottlish" taste.

If I was to describe how this beer tastes in terms of style...it would be a hybrid.

American Altbier

Easily a rebrew beer....but next time I think I would dry hop with cascade or centennial...and I would sub magnum for the chinook bittering....

I think this yeast strain is a gem, and my brewing experience indicates that it could easily be subbed for lager yeast with VERY impressive results. I think some "Permtoberfest" may be in order. It attenuates, it's clean and if you give it time, if flocs clear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply