Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American Pale Ale recipe (my first recipe)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
mhochman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Today is finally brew day. Thanks again for the advice. I'm so anxious to taste this that six weeks is going to take forever.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
mhochman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After two weeks in primary, the fg has stopped at 1.018. My og was a little high, but still in range. This fg is a little out of range for the style. I know that can happen when extracts are involved. I can't decide if I should toss the dry hops in today or give it another week. I only plan to dry hop a week, so it's really a question of three weeks total until bottle or four weeks.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
kbuzz
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What do you mean by "stopped"? How many days has it been at that gravity? Are you transfering to secondary to dry-hop? I'm not one to give advice, but I say if your hydro reading has been about the same for a few days, then it's probably safe to transfer over and plop those hops in there...

Bottled:
Future Brews: a gluten-free beer for my mother-in-law, barleywine

Old 01-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
mhochman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz
What do you mean by "stopped"? How many days has it been at that gravity? Are you transfering to secondary to dry-hop? I'm not one to give advice, but I say if your hydro reading has been about the same for a few days, then it's probably safe to transfer over and plop those hops in there...
Gravity was the same Wednesday and yesterday (Saturday). It was not the most aggressive fermentation. I was going to try to dry hop in my primary for a change. I know more and more people are doing that with no adverse effects.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:50 AM   #15
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think leaving it in primary would be a good idea; less oxygenation risk, and who knows, it might attenuate a bit more. You're at no risk of autolysis at this age, and since vigorous fermentation has stopped there's nothing to drive off hop aromas.
You could agitate the yeast a bit and add nutrient while you're at it, try to get a few more points shaved off....

Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #16
mhochman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dry hops are in. I did a little swirling of the carboy to get the yeasties to wake up a bit. Didn't want to over do it, of course. No nutrients in the house, unfortunately.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
mhochman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just thought I'd share with those who helped me with this recipe that the aroma coming from the airlock is amazing. Bottling Saturday. Only needs 2 hours to carb and condition, right? Right? RIGHT!?

Quick Reply