The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American Pale Ale with brown sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
WhatsOnTap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I threw a lb. of honey in with the LME and I let 'er rip. The 3 gal. wort is in my tub right now chilling out and soon it'll be eating time for the little yeasties The boil smelled honey-rific and I'm curious to see how it all turns out. I'm sure you guys will hear about it. Thanks again,

WOT

Relentless pursuit of better beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 04:12 AM   #12
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsOnTap
Hey guys, I just got a Brewer's Best American micro style Pale Ale kit and I was wondering: if I want to "kick it up a notch" could I add some dark brown sugar for a rummy flavor and added strength? Also, how much should I add if any? The help is appreciated...
we do it to our IPA's sometimes. add 1 cup at the last 5 min of the boil. it's yummy!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #13
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

I might have to try that in an IPA, I bet the hops offset the brown sugar flavor nicely... I'll let you know how the honey works; hopefully it gives me a good dose of alcohol plus a subtle flavor of honey to boot!

I pitched it yesterday at 3:00 and this morning it was bubbling at 1 per minute, but now it's going steadily faster - 1 every 15 sec. or so. I really think that vigorously stirring the yeast in makes it ferment out faster. Either it's the froth (aeration) or the thorough mixing of the yeast, or both, but I had a stout ferment out in 3 days doing that - now this batch seems to be off to a good start as well!

Relentless pursuit of better beer

Quick Reply