New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American Pale Ale with brown sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
WhatsOnTap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default American Pale Ale with brown sugar?

Hey guys, I just got a Brewer's Best American micro style Pale Ale kit and I was wondering: if I want to "kick it up a notch" could I add some dark brown sugar for a rummy flavor and added strength? Also, how much should I add if any? The help is appreciated...

Relentless pursuit of better beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you can kick it up a notch with brown sugar, but i'm not sure whether that would be the best idea for a pale ale. i haven't had a goood experience with brown sugar yet, i don't really like the taste that comes out with it. i'd recomend using invert sugar if your looking to boost the alcohol %. i personally don't think the flavors would work right with a pale ale. brown sugar tends to go better with darker, fuller beers. just my opinion.

edit- if you do go ahead and use it you generally use 1/2 to 1 lb. for five gallons.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I don't think this would work very well. Brown sugar is basically sucrose with molasses, so you would be getting a cidery flavor and a molasses flavor, neither sounds good for an APA.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think honey would be a better choice for additional sugar. That and perhaps edging up the malts a bit. Or do like the megabreweries and add rice syrup.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

The reason I didn't do extra malt was price...this is my 4th batch in a month and I don't want the wife to choke me over a 40 or 50 dollar batch (even though it would prob. be worth it!). I'm just looking for a beer with a little OOMPH and a lot of flavor. Rice syrup was mentioned, but would corn syrup would work, or extra dextrose? how much should I use to boost a 4.5 - 5% brew to approx 6 - 6.5%?

Relentless pursuit of better beer

Old 01-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

if you add 1lbs of honey to a 5 gallon batch that comes out at about 5.1% ABV you'll end up with a 5 gallon batch thats about 6.1%ABV. Corn syrup gave me tha same results. Cane sugar made it 6.2%ABV, and The Beer Recipator dint have rice syurp as a option.

Personally if I am looking to boost ABV and I am NOT using extra malt I am partial to honey . . . $2-$3 buck a pound at the local groery store and you can pick it up at the same time you make that milk run SWMBO send you out on and she will probably never notice

Old 01-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On a 5 gallon batch, you want about 7 lbs of fermentable sugars to hit your mark. If your using kit extracts, that does add up on price. I would recommend getting a light DME or LME which should run maybe $3.50 a pound. I find kits almost always leave you with 4 to 5% ABV unless you add something. I find that area of 6 to7% to be my preference. Light Corn syrup should work well enough. Avoid the type with vanilla added unless you want that to show up in the beer.

Last edited by Genghis77; 01-22-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #8
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

A lb of corn sugar (dextrose) would boost the a/v a bit and won't be all that noticeable. Why don't you just add some light dme or lme? That would be best.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 01-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah i forgot while posting that i used honey to do the same thing on my last APA. it was a great beer, so i'd recomend that. i used a litlle less than half a pound and it came out to around 5.5% ABV. definitely would recomemd that over brown sugar.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
wild
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The recipes that I have call for ½ to ¾ cup (8 - 10 oz.) of brown sugar at the end of the boil. But for a pail ale, light brown sugar would be best.

Good luck,
Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Last edited by wild; 01-24-2006 at 07:39 AM.

Quick Reply