American IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibs

Reaction score
Hi all

Have had a couple of successful brews and have just come up with my first recipe for an American IPA. Wondering if anyone would mind letting me know if they think it looks OK. Have run it through beersmith which gives OG 1.046 and FG 1.015. After primary fermentation I plan to prime with table sugar then bottle.

Total batch size 5 gal
Light DME 7.5 lb
Crystal 40 steeped 0.5 lb

Centennial 60min 1 oz
Centennial 20min 0.25 oz
Simcoe 20min 0.25 oz
Centennial 10min 0.25 oz
Simcoe 10min 0.25 oz
Centennial Flameout 0.25 oz
Simcoe Flameout 0.25 oz
Centennial dry hop 0.5 oz (7 days)
Simcoe dry hop 0.5 oz (7 days)
1/2 whirfloc tablet at 5 minutes

US-05 Yeast packet 1

One other query I had was if I was to reduce the total bath size to say 3 gal, would you just reduce all ingredients in proportion with this or are there things you ned to be careful of?

Cheers

The beer looks ok, but I'd definitely increase the hops.

.25 oz sized additions are really inadequate for a 5 gallon batch of American IPA. Ideally, the totals would be more like:

bittering hops (to about 30 IBUs with this addition) 60 minutes
1 oz centennial or simcoe (or both) 15 minutes
1 oz either or both 5 minutes
1 oz either or both flame out
1-2 oz either or both for dryhopping.

1.046 is a low OG for an IPA, so maybe you'd want to add a bit more extract or change the beer to an APA if you want to have it be 1.046.

To reduce the batch size, simply scaling down the amounts is fine. For a 2.5 gallon batch, use 1/2 of the ingredients (except for yeast).

I'd definitely add the majority of the extract at flame out to keep the color light and the beer from having a 'cooked extract' taste.

Thanks Yooper, appreciate your input, will revise the hop and extract quantities.

And yep, was planning on doing majority of extract at flame out.

Just curious why you wouldn't halve the yeast if you are halving everything else?

You could just use 1/2 pack of dry yeast, but its cheap enough, I say just put it all in. Its not a total waste though, you could brew a second batch and just put that with the yeast from the first batch and you're off to a good fermentation.
If you know the %Alpha Acid of your hops you can use an on line recipe builder to get your IBU's.

Hi guys
I have revisited this American IPA recipe and wondering what people think of the below.
Estimated OG is actually 1.066 (I was reading Beersmith wrong) so have left the DME at 7.5.
This is coming out at 69.5 IBUs
Appreciate any help or ideas about what people would change if they were doing it.

Total batch size 5 gal
Light DME 7.5 lb
Crystal 40L 0.5 lb

Centennial 60min 1.0 oz
Centennial 15min 0.5 oz
Simcoe 15min 0.5 oz
Centennial 5min 0.5 oz
Simcoe 5min 0.5 oz
Centennial Flameout 0.5 oz
Simcoe Flameout 0.5 oz
Centennial dry hop 1 oz
Simcoe dry hop 1 oz
1/2 whirfloc tablet at 5 minutes

US-05 Yeast packet 1

I think your first recipe would be a GREAT APA, but Yoopers right about the hops.

Your revised recipe looks excellent. 2 oz of hops in the last 5 min. is usually what I like to do, and suits my pallet juuuuuuust right.

I also like the simple grain bill.

Make sure to let us know how it turns out if you brew it any time soon!

I agree, second version looks good. My schedule for big aroma is usually 2-3 oz/5 gal at flameout as a hop stand and 3 oz dry hop. I'm a fan of the centennial/simcoe combo - that's one of my go to pairings for APA and IPA's.
:mug:

Back