Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American dark wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Johnnyrhine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default American dark wheat

Ey,
Just had one of these the other day and decided I wanted to make one myself. Never made any wheat beers so I was wondering if anybody had any hints or tips on it. Also wondering What kinds of grains I should use and what not. Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance everybody.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Johnnyrhine
Recipes 

Sorry let me be more clear. I was wondering what kind of wheat to use and the percentage of. Sorry about that, thanks for you patience

Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

American Dark Wheat sounds a bit weird. Must be like a Dunkelweizen, but fermented with a neutral ale yeast?

I'd use 50% regular wheat malt, maybe with a pound of "dark wheat" if you can find it. The other half should be Munich, 2-Row, or a mix, with some dark crystal malts like C120 or Special B thrown in for character.

Should be a clean, creamy beer with a sick head and a nice plum/toffee character.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Johnnyrhine
Recipes 

Haha yea I'm not sure exactly what it was, it was from a regional brewery and that's all it said. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply