Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American APA-- Any advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
pa-in-utah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default American APA-- Any advice

Went to a new LHBS and we came up with this recipe. I wanted to brew a "Northwestern Style Pale Ale". The guy was a real prick, so the name of my brew is going to be "Arrogant APA".....

1 lb American Pale Ale (will lightly toast before steeping)
6 lb Light LME
1 oz Mt Hood (4.8%) - 60 minutes
1 oz Chinook (12.1%) - 3 minutes
WLP 041 Pacific Ale yeast (will leave slight malty character)

Will Dry hop with 1 oz Chinook in the secondary for about 2 weeks.

I thought about adding another lb of DME to kick the abv up a little. Other than that, what do you guys think?

Clinton, Utah

Primary: "Holiday Hooch"... Apfelwein spiced with Cinnamon and brown sugar.
Secondary 1: German Wheat
Secondary 2: Nuttin'
Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)
On Deck: German Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Chinook hops are rather sharp. Have you used these before as the flavor hop? I like them for bittering and with a combination of Centenial towards the end.

Gary

Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-in-utah
what do you guys think?
I think that good HBS's are few and far between and you should let this guy and his employer know that you are unhappy with their service. These places will not servive without better customer service. They feel like they are the only game in town so they don't have to be polite but what they forget is the same products are easily aquired on line for less money! If they are not carefull they will soon be without work.

sorry for the rant I just hate poor customer service. It seems ythere are far more bad HBS's than good ones!

edit to say your recipe looks tasty...
Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Chinook hops are rather sharp. Have you used these before as the flavor hop? I like them for bittering and with a combination of Centenial towards the end.
As for the hops, I have not used Chinook before. I wanted to use cascade but the HBS thought chinook would be better for the style I was going for. The owner is a real hop head so maybe that is why he persuaded me to chinook.

As for the owner and his customer service---

He is a owner/operator and has been around for years!! He is very knowledgeable but rubbed me the wrong way from the beginning of our conversation. I wasn't even going to buy from him. Once we got past his ignorance, things went better. He knows his stuff, but lacks in personal skills.

Do youguys think the chinook is to much? Should I switch to cascade or maybe dryhop with cascade instead? I have never used chinook or cascade (only 3 batches) so I am open to suggestions.

Clinton, Utah

Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)

Old 05-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know how you could go wrong using Cascades. Now, if it was my brew I would bitter with the Chinook and dump a nice load of Cascades in at the end and dry hop with the Cascades. How many IBU's you shooting for? Chinook and Cascades are 2 of the hops in SN Celebration Ale and I really like that beer. You would just have to tone it down on the hops for an APA.

I like the yeast selection.

Gary

Old 05-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not looking for a real bitter brew. I didn't think the chinook would be to overpowering since the are only used for aroma. I am sure it will change the flavor and profile but I want a lot of hops aroma and taste. Maybe this wil be an expiermental brew.... If I like it, maybe next time I will use cascades and a different bittering hops.

I have only used 3 different types of hops so far. So I am still "feeling the ropes" but I know I like Northwestern style brews that use lots of hops for aroma.

Clinton, Utah

Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Assuming you're doing a full boil (?), I'm getting an OG in the mid 50s and 22 IBUs (even lower if a partial boil); probably need a few more IBUs based on what you're after.

I like Blenders idea about bittering w/the Chinook and finishing with something else (1 oz Chinook @ 60 min would give ~45 IBU in a full boil)

Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I've been thinking about American themed APAs. Think about these Hop combons:

Warrior / Tomahawk

First Gold / Nugget

Galena / Aurora (towns in Illinois)

Phoenix / Amarillo

I know that they're not all native to America, but it's just fun to come up with combos like this.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I've been thinking about American themed APAs. Think about these Hop combons:

Warrior / Tomahawk

First Gold / Nugget

Galena / Aurora (towns in Illinois)

Phoenix / Amarillo

I know that they're not all native to America, but it's just fun to come up with combos like this.

I just did something similar for an APA I plan on drinking for the fourth. I used Victory Malt, Northern Brewer and Columbus hops and an American ale yeast. I was going to use Liberty Hops as well, but the LHBS didnt have any at the time. h

Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
Assuming you're doing a full boil (?), I'm getting an OG in the mid 50s and 22 IBUs (even lower if a partial boil); probably need a few more IBUs based on what you're after.

I like Blenders idea about bittering w/the Chinook and finishing with something else (1 oz Chinook @ 60 min would give ~45 IBU in a full boil)

Will be doing a 3 1/2 gallon boil. I come up with 28 IBU. I would rather use the hops I have on hand. If I boil the last 1oz for 5 min it bumps the IBU to 36. Could I use chinook to bittter, Mt hood to flavor and Dry hop with the chinook.

I am still to new to understand all the "fine lines" of hops. I personally am not a huge fan of "bitter" beer. So I want to keep the IBU lower until I can fully understand what I am doing.

Basically in short--- I want a lot of hop aroma and flavor, without the high bitterness. So maybe calling it an APA is not correct. More of an American "light colored" Amber. I guess it is an experiement with high hopes of a good brew!

Clinton, Utah

Quick Reply