American Amber(RED) With All Willamette Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have a ton of willamete hops sitting around and I have decided to create something similar to Jamils Red Rocket clone, but with all willamete for aroma & flavor

12 pound two row
1 pound C40
8 oz c120
8 oz victory
3 oz pale choco
50 IBU Magnum at 60
2 oz willamette at 10
2 oz willamette at FO

I have never used willamette in such a capacity, I am hoping this hop can shine in this capacity, but I am hoping that somebody on the boards here has tried willamette in a similar capacity.

thanks for your help!

I have never used willamette in such a capacity, I am hoping this hop can shine in this capacity, but I am hoping that somebody on the boards here has tried willamette in a similar capacity. . .
Back in July I brewed an Amber, but brown not red, using Willamette for flavor and aroma. Very pleased with the results. Had a nice mellow earthy aroma and finish. Used two lbs of brown malt in the 5 gallon batch and think that added some bitter dryness. Kegged it in two 2-1/2 gallon kegs. The first went really fast at a late summer picnic. Saving the second for the holidays. Curious to see how it ages?

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Boil Schedule
75 minutes Start Boil
60 minutes 2.35 oz Centennial 40 IBU
30 minutes 1.55 oz Centennial 20 IBU
20 minutes 1.00 oz Centennial 10 IBU / 1.60 oz Williamette 10 IBU
10 minutes 1.40 oz Williamette 5 IBU
0 minutes Flame-out
Dry Hop
1.0 oz Centennial / 1.0 oz Williamette

Almost forgot. Got another Williamette creation in the works (brewed 8/28). If the sample going into the secondary is any indication, this will be a great combination. Just added the dry hops on Monday. Plan to keg at the end of the week.

I took advantage of the cheap Williamette prices also. :cross:

Boil Schedule
75 minutes Start Boil
40 minutes .25 oz Chinook 7 IBU / .75 oz Williamette 8 IBU
30 minutes .25 oz Chinook 6 IBU /.75 oz Williamette 7 IBU
20 minutes .25 oz Chinook 5 IBU / .75 oz Williamette 6 IBU
10 minutes .25 oz Chinook 3 IBU / .75 oz Williamette 4 IBU
0 minutes .25 oz Chinook / .75 oz Williamette

Dry Hop
.25 oz Chinook / .75 oz Williamette

Well, I have brewed one Willamette-only brew (bittered with Magnum), and I wasn't thrilled with the flavor (although it was a pale ale, not a red). After this, I decided I would only use W. in combination with other hops, so I recently brewed an amber with 1 part W. to 2 parts Cascade...haven't gotten to try it yet, though. My pale recipe here below (not one I plan to repeat as is):

Recipe: Willamette APA
Style: 10A-American Ale-American Pale Ale

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 7.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.50 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.50 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG
Expected OG: 1.053 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Expected ABV: 5.3 %
Expected ABW: 4.1 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 37.8
Expected Color: 5.9 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 74.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 5lb 8oz (55.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Vienna Malt 2lb 8oz (25.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 20L Malt 8.00 oz (5.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 8.00 oz (5.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Barley 8.00 oz (5.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus) 8.00 oz (5.0 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Magnum (12.1 % alpha) 0.40 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min
US Willamette (4.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 20 Min
US Willamette (4.8 % alpha) 1.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min
US Willamette (4.8 % alpha) 2.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off

I think it'll be great. I have made several brews with only Willamette. I think it's awesome stuff.

I've only made one batch with 100% Willamette, a brown porter. Willy is just too gentle and floral for a porter IMO; the same recipe was substantially brisker and more satisfying with 100% Chinook.
Build your AAA with the expectation of delicate hop character and it may work well, but the conventional wisdom is that Willamette is best used in conjunction with bolder American (C) hops.

I have decided on this as the final recipe

10 pound two row
1 pound C40
1 pound munich
8 oz c120
8 oz victory
4 oz pale choco
25 IBU Magnum at 60
.50 oz chinook @ 10
.50 oz willamette @10
.50 oz amarillo @10
.50 oz chinook @ FO
.50 oz willamette @FO
.50 oz amarillo @FO

I've only made one batch with 100% Willamette, a brown porter. Willy is just too gentle and floral for a porter IMO; the same recipe was substantially brisker and more satisfying with 100% Chinook.
Build your AAA with the expectation of delicate hop character and it may work well, but the conventional wisdom is that Willamette is best used in conjunction with bolder American (C) hops.

Unless you like English style beers.

i had a whole pound of williamette kicking around unopened (from hops direct) and decided yesterday to do the following frankenbrew with some stuff I had lying around. if nothing else I will definately know williamette hops in all their glory the pound was 1.88 oz over thus the 7 min addition. So.....tell me if Im nuts...

12 gal batch mash 149dF sg 1.052 aerated with o2 - 5.5 gal with wlp 001 cal ale, 5.5 with wlp 051 cal aleV (1600 ml starters)

10 lb 2 row
10 lb maris otter
1 lb vienna

60 - 4 oz william
30 - 2 oz william
15 - 2 oz william
7 - 1.88 oz william
1 - 4 oz william
wp - 4 oz william

i had a whole pound of williamette kicking around unopened (from hops direct) and decided yesterday to do the following frankenbrew with some stuff I had lying around. if nothing else I will definately know williamette hops in all their glory the pound was 1.88 oz over thus the 7 min addition. So.....tell me if Im nuts...

12 gal batch mash 149dF sg 1.052 aerated with o2 - 5.5 gal with wlp 001 cal ale, 5.5 with wlp 051 cal aleV (1600 ml starters)

10 lb 2 row
10 lb maris otter
1 lb vienna

60 - 4 oz william
30 - 2 oz william
15 - 2 oz william
7 - 1.88 oz william
1 - 4 oz william
wp - 4 oz william

Looks like an awesome IPA to me. I would cut the seven minute addition and use and trim a few of the 4 oz additions to get 4 oz for a dry hop!

I'm indifferent about Willamette. I've messed around with it a number of times at various times and quantities and have found a minty and grassy flavor that I didn't care for when I used large flavor and aroma additions. I began using the rest of my willamette hops in conjunction with centennial and cascade. I liked it much better that way.

I'm indifferent about Willamette. I've messed around with it a number of times at various times and quantities and have found a minty and grassy flavor that I didn't care for when I used large flavor and aroma additions. I began using the rest of my willamette hops in conjunction with centennial and cascade. I liked it much better that way.

That is kind of how I have always used it.......but here is my question. Do you think the willamette actually adds anything when used with the bigger C hops? I usually throw some in with casc or cent as well, just on principle but willamette is so subtle that I bet I couldn't tell the difference without them. However, didn't some of the lagunita's IPA clones with all willamete turn out really good?

That is kind of how I have always used it.......but here is my question. Do you think the willamette actually adds anything when used with the bigger C hops? I usually throw some in with casc or cent as well, just on principle but willamette is so subtle that I bet I couldn't tell the difference without them. However, didn't some of the lagunita's IPA clones with all willamete turn out really good?

I'm not sure, to be honest. But with nearly a pound of hops that I wasn't enthusiastic about, I had to use them somehow. I basically bittered some Belgians with them and through them in with some C hops where I could. It is used as a substitute for Fuggles by many brewers, but to me they are not the same at all.

Back