Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American Amber recipe - feedback?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
jupritch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default American Amber recipe - feedback?

I have a recipe I've come up with and would appreciate comments to see if I am going to brewing what i think I am.
please make some guesses at how this will smell taste ect.

Help is greatly appreciated. i'll reveal what I am going for after a few comments. Thanks.

5 lbs munich, 3.5 Amer2-row, 2.5 6-row, 1.0 40L crystal, 0.5 Caramunich, 0.5 Aromatic Malt
Step mash: 15min at 122, 20min at 149, 45' at 157 (or until Iodine is neg)
Hops: 10z Chinook at 60min, 0.5 Centennial at 20min, 1.0 Cent at 10 min, 1.0 Csacade dry-hpped
California ale yeast

thanks, justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I fail to see any reason to use a step mash. You probably need something darker in the grain bill (but I have not ran the numbers.) An amber should have a initial malty-sweetness that may be lost with such a low mash temp.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would dump the munich malt.. add some more two row.. then add more 40L and 60L crystal malt. Maybe a couple ounces of chocolate malt for color. The crystal malts are whats really gonna get you that malty sweetness your looking for in an amber.

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
jupritch
Recipes 

Default thanks

thanks for the comments. I am definitely going for some sweet malt flavor. I also really prefer the american hops (like much of sierra nevadas stuff). Though I don't want an IPA. Just a little bitterness and a stronger aroma on the level of a craft brew plae ale/maber. Going to more crystall malt ans less munich may be the way to go.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The AAA usualy uses 2-row (~65%) and crystal (~25%) for its base plus maybe up to ~10% munich. I would lower the hops to maybe 2 oz total. I like centennial in mine, it does a good job for this style of beer. Here is mine: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/scoobys-red-ale-134981/

Last edited by Scooby_Brew; 01-03-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
jupritch
Recipes 

Default 6-row

I thought this would help conversion. I have only done a couple all-grain batches but had good conversion with a decoction and a 3-step mash. I thought I might need more enzymes to reduce the mash time and steps and to eliminate harsher flavors from a longer mash.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupritch View Post
I thought this would help conversion. I have only done a couple all-grain batches but had good conversion with a decoction and a 3-step mash. I thought I might need more enzymes to reduce the mash time and steps and to eliminate harsher flavors from a longer mash.
Munich malt and two-row have plenty of diastastic power, and you don't have any adjuncts that need converting anyway. 6-row has more diastastic power than 2-row, so it's useful when you have a very adjunct heavy mash that needs more enzymes. 6-row has a "grainy" taste that I find a bit different, and wouldn't be to my liking in an amber ale.

A single infusion mash with standard two-row at 153ish would be fine.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
jupritch
Recipes 

I want a little more complex malt flavor than a typical amber. I like Manchester Brewing's Marzen, but I want some more American hops aroma and it has to be an ale. So my style description may not have been perfect. I definitiely like the idea of backing off the caramunich to get more sweetness out of a crystal 60L.

Thanks again for the comments. I don't get many shots at brewing, so i've got to make it count when I get one. Thanks - justin

Quick Reply