Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Amber w/ Citra hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
Wallygator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Amber w/ Citra hops

I came up with this recipe to try out some Citra hops.
Any tips?

8 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt - 20L
1.0 oz Black Barley - 500L
1 lbs Sugar, Table

1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.8 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

batch size: 5.25 gal
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.015
IBU: 51.2

Kind of an American Red I guess.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior fire power."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Gildog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i would say substitue honey for the table sugar, but i find that table sugar makes it taste cidery. oooh a hoppy honey red, that sounds yummy

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Beer fairies help me out all the time.They sprinkle the magic stay awake till you pitch the yeast dust,and everything works out great.It's those damn THC gnomes that say NO! You must pass out and F up your beer!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would just leave the table sugar out. I've got you at 1.064 OG without it. That'll equal a final gravity of around 1.016 with 6.4%ABV. Adding the one pound of sugar will bring you up to 7.4%-ish, fine if you want to make it an imperial amber, but IMHO not necessary. I would also consider just doing 8oz each of the crystal, or 12oz of the 40L and 8oz of the 80L. Too much of the 80L will see you with a more-brown-than-amber ale.
I am interested to hear how this turns out with the hops schedule. I haven't had a chance to play around with citra hops

Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

im just going to make an IPA hop bomb out of these things

None :(

Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hopped up ambers are damn good. I just finished an intensely (pliny dry hop inspired) hopped american red ale. It is nice to have a bigger malt profile to back up the intense hop character

Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
Wallygator
Recipes 

I decided to cut the sugar out completely. Up the C40 to 12oz, cut the C80 to 8oz. Beersmith gives me a OG of 1.056 now with a FG of 1.013 and still 51 IBU's. I will be brewing this sometime next week.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior fire power."

Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sweet. sounds like a winner

Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One lb of sugar or honey will not make it cidery. If you up it to 40% of the fermentables, then yes, it will probably taste cidery or some-other-lessthangood-y. I use simple sugars to dry out bigger beers with good results. I never had much luck getting a big extract brew much under 1.018 or 1.020, which is pushed me toward all-grain. Just my opinion.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Wallygator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
One lb of sugar or honey will not make it cidery. If you up it to 40% of the fermentables, then yes, it will probably taste cidery or some-other-lessthangood-y. I use simple sugars to dry out bigger beers with good results.
Do you add it at the end of the boil, or the beginning? I know it will reduce hop utilization a little if added at the beginning. I've added 1lb at the beginning of the boil with other beers before without any cidery taste. I think it helps get the FG down a little on extract brews.

When you say bigger beers, how big?

thanks

Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I add it at the end of the boil, or even as primary fermentation slows. I agree about getting the FG down on extract brews, which is why I wanted to encourage its use without fear of cidery result. When I say big, I mean anything over 1.060. Most of the beers I make are 1.085 - 1.110. I tend to like big full flavor beers, but dont like them sweet. I had a belgian tripel OG 1.095, FG 1.008. It used 2.5 lbs of simple sugar, and I mashed at 148 for 120 minutes.

Quick Reply