New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Alternative ways of adding pumpkin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
turkeyjerky214
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Alternative ways of adding pumpkin

I've made a pumpkin beer the past two years. First one turned out pretty good. Last year.... not so much. I'm scrapping that recipe entirely and starting over this year.

One problem I ran into last year was a stuck sparge because of the canned pumpkin. I'm lazy, and doing a whole pumpkin is too much work so I'm brainstorming how to get by with canned pumpkin but not have a stuck sparge. I've got two ideas so far. Both involve putting the canned pumpkin in a paint strainer bag:

1. Put the bag in the mash, and just take it out and put it back in whenever I stir. Take it out before sparging.

2. Put the bag in the kettle with the mash water at high 160ºs for an hour or so. Take out and fill mash tun with the pumpkiny water. Put the bag back in and let it soak in the sparge water for an hour. Sparge with pumpkiny water.

Do either of these sound like they would work? Has anyone tried either of these before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

How bout option three. Just add it to the boil? We're discussing this already today in THIS thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
frogman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did almost exactly that last year. I was tired of the 3 to 4 hours stuck sparges. I heated my mash water to I 175ish and added the pumpkin. I let the canned pumpkin soak in the mash water over night in a spare cooler, I did I give it a stir every few hours before I went to bed. The next morning I syphoned the pumpkin water off the solids that fell to the bottom and mashed in as usual. The beer turned out great, the best pumpkin beer I ever made.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the reply, frogman. Did you use whole pumpkin or canned? I'm hoping to brew my pumpkin ale on August 7th or 8th. I'll be sure to post my results.

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Willum
That's beautiful man.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just curious, did you guys use rices hulls?

Quick Reply