The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Alpine IPA clone

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
joef9800
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 6
Default Alpine IPA clone

anyone aware of a Duet or Nelson clone recipe?

__________________
joef9800 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 337
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

...or Hoppy Birthday (I wish)

I did find this Nelson recipe online. He says here (in the comments) that he received the recipe from Pat, the owner/brewer. If so, I don't know what he did to squeeze that info out of Pat. They've never been open to discussing their recipes with me before. I've attempted to no avail to get a recipe for Hoppy Birthday and Duet via email a couple of times. I've also tried at the brewery.

If anyone else has info on any of Alpine's IPA recipes, post it here.

__________________
ocluke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
skibb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 449
Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Only info I've gotten out of them are the hops used in Hoppy Birthday - prob the best pale ale I've ever had...

Via Pat: Pacific Jade, Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus, Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Simcoe.

__________________
skibb is offline
zodiak3000 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 337
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibb View Post
Only info I've gotten out of them are the hops used in Hoppy Birthday - prob the best pale ale I've ever had...

Via Pat: Pacific Jade, Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus, Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Simcoe.
Oddly, that hop mash-up makes sense, although it could be wildly different in profile depending on the ratios of each of those hops. West Coast meets NZ.

I agree that this is the best pale ale I've ever had. Look up the word "quaffer" in the dictionary and there's a picture of this beer. If I could nail down the malt bill on this, I'll play around with those hops to see if I can come up with something similar. As crazy as this sounds given how much of a hop forward beer this is, I think the malt bill is essential to this beer. It has body and light crackery notes, but remains dry and in the background. It's very "Alpine" in a way. At 5.5% ABV, I could pound this beer all day long.

The next time one of us has a chance to talk to or email Pat, we should ask purely about the malt bill percentages, and then maybe mash temps/times. That way we're not asking about the entire recipe. He might be more open to discussing one aspect of the recipe at a time.
__________________
ocluke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
berley31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 116
Default

Hey,

I brewed a Duet clone back in January. Here's the link to my recipe (backbone of which is from Pat at Alpine), and there's a link there for the tasting as well...

http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca/201...uet-clone.html

It came out very tasty, but unfortunately I don't have a prayer of testing it against the real thing. I loved Duet when I tried it in SD last September, but haven't had it since. I have a few bottles of the clone left, and it's amazingly held up quite well, even now. It won a bronze medal and went on to the final round of the NHC this year as well.

__________________
berley31 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 337
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berley31 View Post
Hey,

I brewed a Duet clone back in January. Here's the link to my recipe (backbone of which is from Pat at Alpine), and there's a link there for the tasting as well...

http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca/201...uet-clone.html

It came out very tasty, but unfortunately I don't have a prayer of testing it against the real thing. I loved Duet when I tried it in SD last September, but haven't had it since. I have a few bottles of the clone left, and it's amazingly held up quite well, even now. It won a bronze medal and went on to the final round of the NHC this year as well.
Thank you for sharing. I'll look over your recipe. Duet is a great beer from Alpine. Congrats on making a hoppy beer that holds up in the bottle. It's almost always bangin' on draft at Alpine, but when bottles of Duet and Nelson circulate to my local bottle shop, they're really hit and miss. And when they're more than a couple of weeks old, the aroma (the big wow factor of Alpine beers) isn't there.

The most amazing part of all of this is that you got Pat to share something. He's pretty tight-lipped in my experience (especially for a brewery that just won "The Spirit of Homebrew" award from Zymurgy) and generally gives you some lecture about how homebrewing is all about the discovery of finding things out for yourself.
__________________
ocluke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
dragonlor20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 212
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Hi. Pat was actually very forthcoming when I emailed him about my Nelson clone recipe. For me, sending him something that I was working on and asking him how to get a particular element of the recipe correct led to him giving up a little more information.

My advice is to send Pat a recipe you have already worked out and see what he sends you back. Keep in mind that Alpine is brewing pretty much at capacity all of the time so Pat is a busy guy.

Scott

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I dropped off a bottle of my beer for him at the brewery. That earned me a review of how close I had gotten I still have the email of Pat saying I had made a good Nelson clone!

__________________
dragonlor20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 337
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlor20 View Post
Hi. Pat was actually very forthcoming when I emailed him about my Nelson clone recipe. For me, sending him something that I was working on and asking him how to get a particular element of the recipe correct led to him giving up a little more information.

My advice is to send Pat a recipe you have already worked out and see what he sends you back. Keep in mind that Alpine is brewing pretty much at capacity all of the time so Pat is a busy guy.

Scott

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I dropped off a bottle of my beer for him at the brewery. That earned me a review of how close I had gotten I still have the email of Pat saying I had made a good Nelson clone!
Do you mind posting your recipe? Thanks.
__________________
MetaBrewing.com - A blog documenting one homebrewer's experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
Continuously recirculating dry hops in the fermentor [video].
ocluke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
berley31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 116
Default

Throwing my hat in the ring... again! After two years, brewed another clone attempt this week, with a few minor changes to what I brewed before:

http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca/201...ersion-20.html

__________________
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.com
berley31 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Quetzolcotl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 17
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlor20 View Post
Hi. Pat was actually very forthcoming when I emailed him about my Nelson clone recipe. For me, sending him something that I was working on and asking him how to get a particular element of the recipe correct led to him giving up a little more information.

My advice is to send Pat a recipe you have already worked out and see what he sends you back. Keep in mind that Alpine is brewing pretty much at capacity all of the time so Pat is a busy guy.

Scott

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I dropped off a bottle of my beer for him at the brewery. That earned me a review of how close I had gotten I still have the email of Pat saying I had made a good Nelson clone!
Dragonlor20, have you posted your recipe anyplace?
__________________
Quetzolcotl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Alpine Spring Clone barhoc11 Recipes/Ingredients 105 02-26-2014 03:49 AM
Allagash Tripel Clone or Duvel Clone recipe? jbenedetto Recipes/Ingredients 33 01-19-2013 03:08 AM
SA Alpine Spring(extract) seckert Recipes/Ingredients 0 04-12-2012 05:19 PM
Clone recipe for Alpine Bad Boy DIPA? fishkingesq Recipes/Ingredients 1 02-29-2012 04:55 PM
Using All Hallertau in Warsteiner Clone, Clone Beers Variation yetanothersteve Recipes/Ingredients 2 11-21-2009 09:48 PM