Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Allagash Tripel Clone or Duvel Clone recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robp7787 View Post
I brewed a duvel clone about three weeks ago. After the main fermentation mellowed, I transferred it to a glass carboy. It's been there over 2 weeks. Are there any signs I should be looking for? I know I'm supposed to wait a few months, but how do I know when to bottle? Should I just check the gravity? Or am I waiting to see the beer start to clear? I know I'm supposed to be patient. Let me know what to look for.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm a noob, and this was only the 5th batch I've brewed.
I just bottled my Duvel clone a few weeks ago, it was 4 months old at that point, 1.5 months in primary, the rest in secondary. I waited that long because I wanted the beer as crystal clear as possible. Just let it sit, especally if you're using the Duvel strain, as that one takes forever to clear out.

To answer your question: Just wait for it. Let it clear. RDWHAHB.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 06:44 AM   #22
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
I just bottled my Duvel clone a few weeks ago, it was 4 months old at that point, 1.5 months in primary, the rest in secondary. I waited that long because I wanted the beer as crystal clear as possible. Just let it sit, especally if you're using the Duvel strain, as that one takes forever to clear out.

To answer your question: Just wait for it. Let it clear. RDWHAHB.
I'm brewing the JZ recipe this weekend. Does that yeast (WLP 570) really need a secondary? I hate doing secondary's i was just gonna rack to a keg after a few weeks.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
dirt55
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm making this tomorrow...so it is Mash at 90mins AND boil for 90mins? or just mash at 60mins and boil for 90mins. I know you have to boil for 90mins because of the pils/dms combo. Thanks for the help :-)

Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #24
fbi365
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I think I am going to give this a shot for my first all grain. I'll pitch on a WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale cake leftover from a (extract) belgian blonde i just made. Had to sub yeast at LHBS b/c they were out of belgian wit yeast. Looking forward to it.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #25
jesutton3
Recipes 

So when should the sugar be added? Last 10 min? Flame out? Start of boil?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #26
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made this back about 4 months ago and I still don't think it has mellowed out enough. The pear notes from the yeast are way too strong.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #27
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
First AG, eh? I'd start with a simpler recipe than a big bad Belgian. Not to discourage, just trying to 'set you for success'!
+1

You've got cojones dude for trying something like this as your fist AG.
In hindsight I'd try a simple wit recipe or pale ale to get aquainted with the process first.
Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #28
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made ten gallons a month or so ago. One corny is gonna age for a long time but I'm going to tap the otehr corny soon - because i had an accident and knocked the keg over while filling. I saved about half the beer but it got severly oxygenated in the process. On the plus side- my family room has a significant permanent belgian smell to it.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #29
fbi365
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Hahaha Nutcase, as if our houses don't already smell like a brewery. I made this recipe today as my first all grain. Thanks Jamil and Thanks Benedetto for the recipe. I'll report back on the results...

Old 09-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #30
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So how long should this beer be kept at high temps.? I did the ramp up but should the beer condition at a cooler temp?

Quick Reply