Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All these Left Over Hops and Specialty Malts...What to Do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default All these Left Over Hops and Specialty Malts...What to Do?

Here's what I have...
Hops

.55 oz Fuggles .55 oz Williamete .55oz East Kent Goldings .90 oz Centennial 1.10 oz Chinook 2.35 oz Cascade .55 oz US Hallertau

Specialty Grains

4.65 oz Caramunich 5.35 oz Briess Special Roast 9.00 oz Simpsons Chocolate 2.55 oz Wyermann Dark Wheat 10.40 oz Simpsons Roasted Barley 3.60 oz Briess 120L 11.25 oz Briess 40L 4.55 oz Durst Munich

As far as Base Malts go, I have over 20 lbs of Marris Otter and Plenty of American 2 Row on Hand.

What I WAS going to do was throw it all into my Software, find out what to expect for numbers, run it all through the Grain Mill and get to Brewing with Everything. Just one big Witches' Brew. As far as Yeast, if I was to go with this Route, I'd want to use something different. Don't know yet, but I am not yet sold on the Witches' Brew.
Do you know of any good recipes with the above ingredients? If so, please share as I would rather go with something that is tried and true then to Brew something that taste like Cow's ass...

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Two 5-gallon batches:

Batch One: a nice malty Brown Ale!

Use the Munich, Special Roast, Chocolate, Dark Wheat and 120L Crystal. Make up Maris Otter to yield an OG of ~1.050.

Bitter with the Centennial, flavor with Fuggles & Willamette, finish (or dry hop) with EKG.

Batch Two: an APA with the 2-row, the 40L Crystal and the Caramunich. Bitter with the Chinook and finish with Cascades.

That leaves you with Hallertauer, but whaddayagonnado?

Or just mash it all together and ferment it with a nice Belgian yeast. I prefer Ardennes.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 06-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
RLinNH

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Two 5-gallon batches:

Batch One: a nice malty Brown Ale!

Use the Munich, Special Roast, Chocolate, Dark Wheat and 120L Crystal. Make up Maris Otter to yield an OG of ~1.050.

Bitter with the Centennial, flavor with Fuggles & Willamette, finish (or dry hop) with EKG.

Batch Two: an APA with the 2-row, the 40L Crystal and the Caramunich. Bitter with the Chinook and finish with Cascades.

That leaves you with Hallertauer, but whaddayagonnado?

Or just mash it all together and ferment it with a nice Belgian yeast. I prefer Ardennes.

Cheers,

Bob

I'll take Option 1 for 1000 regis. I'm going with your idea. I'll be brewing both of them next weekend. I'm thinking a nice WLP001 oughta do the trick for both of those Brews. Thanks for the recipes!!!

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 06-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

De nada, amigo. Hope they turn out well for you; they're both sort of off-the-cuff, based on far too much time spent reading Designing Great Beers.

You had amounts in interesting proportions, so it was just a matter of thinking for a few minutes. Caveat: I didn't plug anything into ProMash, so YMMV!

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 06-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
RLinNH

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
De nada, amigo. Hope they turn out well for you; they're both sort of off-the-cuff, based on far too much time spent reading Designing Great Beers.

You had amounts in interesting proportions, so it was just a matter of thinking for a few minutes. Caveat: I didn't plug anything into ProMash, so YMMV!

Cheers,

Bob
Funny thing. I just ordered Designing Great Beers last night from Northern Brewer. I can not wait to dissect that puppito!!!

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty