Brewed yesterday... meanwhile the replies began.
Originally Posted by CurtHagenlocher
My personal sense (as someone who likes rye) is that 100% rye isn't a good idea. Have you had a roggenbier or anything else in the 50-60% range? I would try something like that before going for this.
Prudence is not my forte!
Also I thought roggenbier was fermented with wheat yeasts (I am trying to like wit and weizen... I don't like banana runts)
I might like it if a "clean" strain were used similar to Lagunitas' little sumpin' sumpin' ale (lots of wheat; doesn't taste like a wheat beer)
Originally Posted by ardonthorn5
... i remember it being described as viscous
the first runnings were one step below hot LME.
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist
Yeah, that much rye will give you a very syrupy mouthfeel. You also should do a decoction mash, resting at 122, then boiling part of the grain to raise it to sacc rest. I just did a lot of research for a rye barleywine, and just brewed a roggenbier. The decoction helps keep the rye from turning to mush, which causes stuck sparges. Rice hulls will not be enough.
Is it really syrupy? My experience with rye is that it is very crisp and dry. I am not doubting you, I see by your threads you have made far more rye beer than I. I researched this a long while ago and had bookmarks but now that I read your posts I maybe would have changed my method a bit (Where were you two days ago!?
) I should have combed the forums better.
I employed a b-glucanase rest at 110F for 30min. the .77 qt./ lb. was just enough to wet the grains comfortably and it worked like a charm. B-glucan is the protein that makes wheat, rye, and oats sticky as hell. I haven't tried the rest @ 122 I thought that was primarily to reduce haze forming proteins but now I see that the rests sort of overlap.http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...h_temperatures
I did not decoct because I didn't want to destroy my enzymes since rye DP is lower than barley. I use beersmith because I find the temperature/ volume calculations to be fairly accurate. I added strike water for sacch. rest and hit my temp dead on.
I batch sparged really, painfully slowly. I ended up using 2 batches of 11 qts. instead of one and I collected 8.3 gallons successfully. It only got stuck one time but a quick poke and stir of the mash paddle got her going again. (Does that sound dirty to anyone else?) I found intermittent stirring to be fairly necessary because the grain bed would become super compact. Also I sparged at 170, rested, and let it run- when it slowed to a trickle I did second batch at 180 to make sure it would run off thoroughly- which it did. If you are sparging through anything better than 14" of braided SS hose then you are better off than I am. If I did this again I would use the same qty. of rice hulls in the mash and then add another 1/2 lb. or so when sparging.
My post boil volume was high at 7 gal instead of 6.5 but the gravity was one point higher than estimated. Sweet, 80% efficiency and four extra pints! The brew gods must delight in my ambition.
So far this has been successful. I did another sparge and collected 3 gallons for a gruit- braggot experiment gravity was 1.028 so I will be adding lots of honey and perhaps some LME in a few days once fermentation has started.
I will continue to follow up with developments.
I suppose it's worth mentioning that the specialty rye malts smelled even more like coffee and chocolate in the boil than some of the dark malts. Mash smelled like I was baking pumpernickel.