Tears of the Dragon APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
All-Grain - Tears of the Dragon APA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast # 1272 American Ale II
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 52.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 6.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 68
Tasting Notes: Fermenting....

6.23 Lbs American 2-Row
4.15 Lbs Pilsner
1.41 Lbs Munich
0.45 Lbs Victory
0.45 Lbs Golden Naked Oats

0.82 oz Amarillo 60 mins
0.90 oz Amarillo 15 mins
0.82 oz Citra 2 mins

1.00 oz Citra 7 day dry hop

Mash for 60 mins at 152 degrees F

If you haven't made a finished batch of this beer yet (which I assume is the case due to your tasting notes), this isn't the place for it. The recipe database is for 'tried and true' recipes. If a recipe turns out well enough that you think other people should brew it, then post it. That's what this section is for; a place to find reliably good, tried-and-true recipes. Not to keep a brewlog.

By putting a recipe in the recipe database, you're basically saying to other users: try this recipe. And trying a recipe costs a lot of time and effort, and some money. Would you encourage a person to try a recipe if you didn't know it was good?

This looks like a good pale ale recipe; I'm not knocking it. But post it after you get good results, not before.

Note that many users won't post a recipe until they've brewed it multiple times with excellent results. That's not a requirement, but it just goes to show what sort of thing the recipe database is supposed to be.

My apologies. In fairness, I took a hydro and sampled it Sunday...it tasted fabulous.

Coming soon...to a fridge near you.

Well, now that it's here may as well leave it up until you have more concrete results. Just be sure to update it.

I'm glad it seems to be turning out well; like I said it looks like a pretty solid recipe.

To update:

Bottles are filled and carbed and this beer is terrific! I'm not a fan of caramel sweetness in pale and India pale ales. This beer has a subtle malty sweetness at first and finishes with a real nice and smooth tropical citrus hop kick. I recommend this one if you like a soft malt base to your APA.

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

Glad to hear it turned out well! I would edit your original post to reflect the fact that it's finished (i.e, put what you posted above into the tasting notes). Otherwise, a lot of people will just skip over it when searching for recipes to try.

Skyforger,

Im so pleased with this one. I love the bit of extra maltiness. The amazing aspect to me is the Citra and Amarillo together. Its a wonderful combo. The beer is significantly bitter but it is disguised so well by the pilsner malt and citrusy characteristics. It dawned on me after having 3 last night how bitter it actually is. I think people who are afraid of hops would do well to try this as a wonderful introduction to the world of hoppy ales.

Hm. Looking through some old threads I've posted in, I don't see an edit link either. I wonder if it expires after a certain time. If so, that's a new feature; I've seen people edit recipes even after a long time before, to reflect further experience with the recipe.

I would contact the mods about this. I can see the logic behind limiting the edit time for most posts, but recipes are different.

Back