Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-grain IPA Recipe

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
WC12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 18
Default All-grain IPA Recipe

Hello, just joined this forum yesterday. I've learned a ton from this forum over the last couple of months, and I'm starting to get into all grain. I came up with this recipe using Beersmith, let me know what you guys think about it. I'm thinking of dry hopping, but not sure what kind of hops to use. I'm new to all grain so any suggestions are welcomed.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 50.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

11.00 lb Maris Otter Pale Malt
8.0 oz Munich Malt
8.0 oz Carmel/Cryrstal Malt - 20L

.37 oz Horizon [12 %] (60 min) 13.5 IBU
.37 oz Nugget [13 %] (50 min) 13.9 IBU
.37 oz Horizon [12 %] (40 min) 11.9 IBU
.37 oz Nugget [13 %] (30 min) 11.2 IBU
.37 oz Horizon [12 %] (20 min) 8.2 IBU
.37 oz Nugget [13 %] (10 min) 5.2 IBU

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast - Ale

__________________
WC12 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
kleinsaj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 19
Default

Sounds like a great recipe. I would definitely dry hop if able. Cascades are great if you want a nice grapefruity aroma, at least that's what I like. Why not bump up all the hop additions to .5 oz?

__________________

In dog beers, I've only had one...

kleinsaj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
 
skeezerpleezer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 1,612
Liked 343 Times on 190 Posts

Default

Anything between 60 and 20 only adds bitterness (very minimal flavor/aroma), so to maximize hop usage:

Get rid of the 50,40, and 30 minute additions. Increase the 60 minute addition to get your desired ibus. Add a lot of hops at flameout, and dryhop with at least 2oz, I prefer 3+.

There is only 2.22 oz of hops in there, which isn't enough for an ipa. I usually start with something like: 1 oz at 60 with a high alpha hop, then 1oz each at 15,10,5,0, then 3oz dryhop (8oz total). Nice bitterness, flavor, and aroma balance. Modify as needed depending on the hops being used.

__________________
skeezerpleezer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
WC12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Anything between 60 and 20 only adds bitterness (very minimal flavor/aroma), so to maximize hop usage:

Get rid of the 50,40, and 30 minute additions. Increase the 60 minute addition to get your desired ibus. Add a lot of hops at flameout, and dryhop with at least 2oz, I prefer 3+.

There is only 2.22 oz of hops in there, which isn't enough for an ipa. I usually start with something like: 1 oz at 60 with a high alpha hop, then 1oz each at 15,10,5,0, then 3oz dryhop (8oz total). Nice bitterness, flavor, and aroma balance. Modify as needed depending on the hops being used.
Thanks for the feedback. Do I need to calibrate BeerSmith? It says it'll be 64 IBU with that amount of hops. I'd rather trust you than the software though, so I'll make the adjustments.
__________________
WC12 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
WC12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinsaj View Post
Sounds like a great recipe. I would definitely dry hop if able. Cascades are great if you want a nice grapefruity aroma, at least that's what I like. Why not bump up all the hop additions to .5 oz?
Thanks, I'll try Cascades for dry hopping!
__________________
WC12 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
 
skeezerpleezer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 1,612
Liked 343 Times on 190 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC12

Thanks for the feedback. Do I need to calibrate BeerSmith? It says it'll be 64 IBU with that amount of hops. I'd rather trust you than the software though, so I'll make the adjustments.
No, it is probably right. It is just that using hops at 50,40,30 don't add any complexity (flavor or aroma). You would be better off removing those, then increasing the amount at 60 to get back to your desired ibus. Then used the leftover at flameout or dryhopping to get flavor/aroma.

Your gravities, ibus, and grain look great, just need a lot more hops at the end to get that ibu hop punch in the face.
__________________
skeezerpleezer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
WC12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
No, it is probably right. It is just that using hops at 50,40,30 don't add any complexity (flavor or aroma). You would be better off removing those, then increasing the amount at 60 to get back to your desired ibus. Then used the leftover at flameout or dryhopping to get flavor/aroma.

Your gravities, ibus, and grain look great, just need a lot more hops at the end to get that ibu hop punch in the face.

Ok, I'll try it out. I was going for the continuous hopping method. Can I just add a lot more at 60 min then still continually hop, just with smaller quantities?
__________________
WC12 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
 
skeezerpleezer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 1,612
Liked 343 Times on 190 Posts

Default

You can add whenever you want, but keep in mind that anything over 20 minutes adds bitterness, 20-10 or so is for flavor, and less than that and dryhop is aroma.

If continuously hopping, I would bitter to your ibu with a 60 min addition, then continuously hop from 20-0.

__________________
skeezerpleezer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
WC12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 18
Default

OK, here is my new recipe. Tell my what you think...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 50.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

11.00 lb Maris Otter Pale Malt
8.0 oz Munich Malt
8.0 oz Carmel/Cryrstal Malt - 20L

1.0 oz Nugget [13 %] (60 min) 40 IBU
.50 oz Chinook [13 %] (60 min) 20 IBU
.10 oz Nugget [13 %] (15 min) 1.8 IBU
.10 oz Horizon [12%] (10 min) 1.5 IBU
.10 oz Horizon [12%] (5 min) 0.7 IBU
1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%] (1 min) 0.7 IBU
3.0 oz Cascade Dryhop 7 days

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast - Ale

__________________
WC12 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
 
skeezerpleezer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 1,612
Liked 343 Times on 190 Posts

Default

I would take some of the dry hops and up the 15,10,5 by .5 each, then dry hop with the remaining. You don't have to use 3 oz of dry hops, 1.5 will work still add good aroma. I usually do 3 to add a little more aroma, and because I buy in semi bulk and always have about 5-8lbs on hand...buying in bulk is much cheaper. Other than that, looks good to me.

If you haven't read into hop bursting, you should check it out, there are lots of good articles on here. It will provide more insight about what I have been describing.

__________________
skeezerpleezer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First All grain recipe jstuts2260 Recipes/Ingredients 1 03-14-2011 10:19 PM
My First All-Grain Recipe kjjohns5 Recipes/Ingredients 22 05-17-2010 02:17 PM
First All-Grain Recipe Help, Please kjung Recipes/Ingredients 2 01-10-2009 03:53 PM
Help with my first All-grain Recipe... TerapinChef Recipes/Ingredients 7 11-01-2007 06:12 PM
Recipe for first all-grain bigben Recipes/Ingredients 6 10-04-2007 07:07 PM