The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All grain honey brown recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
ssmif135
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All grain honey brown recipe

First off I want to say how great this forum is, I am so glad i found it.
Second, I have only been brewing for a couple of months, but I am ready to start an all grain lager. I found a reciped in "More Homebrew Favorites", but it calls for 4 lbs of Superbrau unhopped amber malt extract. Could anyone help me with a possible substitute for this ingredient or another recipe. I would really like to make it an all-grain beer. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you could use six pounds of pale malt/two row malt to get the fermentables and a little bit, maybe 8 oz of crystal malt to get the amber color instead of the malt extract the recipe calls for.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd throw a pound or two of honey malt in that as well. I heard that lends some honey flavor without adding honey. I'd research it more, but that sounds like a good alternative.

Otherwise pale 2 row is the best bet to use as a base grain. Adjunct it with carapils for body, maybe a litle flaked wheat for head retention, and experiment with crystal 10-120L for color.....

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #4
ssmif135
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot.

I am a young brewer, so I am not really sure as to what you mean by a little carastan, a little flaked wheat, and a little crystal 10-120. Could you give me an estimate as to the quantity of each.

The reciped calls for 2 lbs of clover honey as well, will honey malt work better. If I put in the lb or two of honey malt instead, do i still put in 6 lbs of pale malt.

I see a lot of talk on here about using whole leaf hops instead of the pellets, what would it take to do this with whole hops instead of pellets.

Full Recipe:

1/2 lb carastan malt 36' L
1/4 c. roasted barley
4 lbs Superbrau unhopped amber malt extract
2 lb clover honey
1 oz Cascade hop pellets
1 oz Mt. Hood hop pellets
2 packets of paine's yeast

Last edited by ssmif135; 06-14-2005 at 01:17 AM.

Quick Reply