Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Alcoholic Ginger Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
zandrsn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Alcoholic Ginger Beer

Hi all, I'm hoping to find a good recipe for an alcoholic ginger beer somewhere between Left Hand's JuJu Gingerbeer and a Blenheim's or similar spicy gingerbeer.

I've tried it once and I had great ginger flavor, but it was WAY too dry. Basically undrinkable without the addition of simple syrup in the glass. Any thoughts?

Barrel-aging: Clamberskull's Revenge RIS
Bottled: Winter is Coming RIS,La Mort Rouge Grand Cru Flanders Red, Northern Soul Imperial Brown Ale, Roncevaux 9 Quad, Squeeze my Lemon Summer Ale, North Woods ESA, Porch Days Earl Grey Ale, Sol Invictus Clementine Melomel, Fall's Ephemera Apple Witbier, Graf of Gilead, Solstice Moon Blueberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
drkaeppel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I just bottled a strong ginger beer last week. Here's what I did.

7 lbs Light DME
1/2 lbs honey
1.5 lbs fresh ginger chopped and then crushed with a mortar and pestle
0.25 oz Nugget (12%) to counteract for some of the sweetness from the malt

Boiled DME with 2 gallons of water with most of the ginger (maybe 1 lb) and the hops for 1 hour. Add honey and the rest of the ginger at flameout, chill to pitching temp, then into the fermentor with US-05. I left all of the ginger in the fermentor as well and it didn't cause any issues.

OG was something like 1.075, but it was difficult to get a good reading because of the foam. Didn't take a FG reading.

It's been in the bottle for a week and it tastes great! It has a really nice warmth from the ginger plus a bit of an alcohol kick. I'm thinking about making a stronger version as a Winter warmer. My only complaint is that it's a little on the sweet side. I might add more bittering hops next time and maybe make a starter to make sure it finishes out a little lower.

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply