Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Al grain recipes: weight vs extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
emacgee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Al grain recipes: weight vs extract

So I've been thinking about this in the design of all grain recipes. How do ya'll do your all grain recipes? Once you determine what percentage of the grain bill you want each malt/grain to be does that malt/grain now compose that percentage of the total weight of grain you are using or does each grain now account for that percentage of the sugar/gravity you're shooting for?

Hope that makes sense. I've done a lot of reading about styles and appropriate malt/grain and such and haven't found a clear reference to this. It seems that when using some of the darker grains or some of the others that don't contribute much if any gravity it wouldn't make sense to calculate their quantity in terms of what gravity they would contribute. But when thinking about some brewing sugars and such it would make more sense to think of them in terms of how much gravity they will add.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Honestly, I use software like beersmith. It breaks everything down to percentages (grain and hops included).

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 09-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
emacgee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
Honestly, I use software like beersmith. It breaks everything down to percentages (grain and hops included).

Yeah, I have Beersmith and am about to start using it but I would still like to know what the percentages in a grain bill are referring to between percent of weight or percent of extract just so I know exactly what I''m reading when I see someones recipe or appropriate quantities of grain for certain styles.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Ah I misunderstood but now I get it. If I am bored I like to mess around converting things from extract to all grain and noting the grain substitutions

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

In the book Designing Great Beers, the way he says to do it.
Is to use % based on total gravity points, the grains extract potential , mash efficiency, and batch size.
I would suggest buying Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels it really explains it well and lays out all the math involved.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
emacgee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlater View Post
In the book Designing Great Beers, the way he says to do it.
Is to use % based on total gravity points, the grains extract potential , mash efficiency, and batch size.
I would suggest buying Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels it really explains it well and lays out all the math involved.
I've got that one and I agree, its great. However, if you look in John Palmer's How to Brew he calculates his by weight. I also see referenced in books and such that a grain will traditionally compose X% of a beers grain bill by weight and was wondering how to account for that

Quick Reply