Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AHS Toasted Coconut Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Tilldeath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AHS Toasted Coconut Porter

So after doing a bunch of reading on other sites and this one and not being able to find a full rundown on a coconut porter recipe from start to finish I thought I'd go ahead and through in my 2 cents and come up with one. After looking through the info I settled on doing AHS toasted coconut porter (Extract). I don't know if I can post the exact recipe so I'll just give an outline until I get some info as to if it's alright. Seems like a porter recipe with flaked oats for head retention and mouthfeel. Some bittering hops at 60 min. and flavor/aroma at 10min. I used whirfloc at 7min. and got a quick chill down to 72F in about 8min. Did a full boil with 6gallons accounting for boil off. Final volume was 5.25gal OG 1.058-1.060, used a refractometer with a brix of 14.8-15 and came up with that conversion. Some stuff came up and it was either no starter or wait a month to brew. So I picked up 2 vials white lab 007 and pitched. Airlock activity @ 7hr. and I will update as much as possible. My one question is how much unsweetend flaked coconut to use? The recipe calls for 1lb. toasted, however I don't want a light coconut so I was thinking about doing 1.5lb, just worried about head retention by the increase. Hope this can help anyone thinking about making a coconut porter.

“If we will disbelieve everything, because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much what as wisely as he who would not use his legs, but sit still and perish, because he had no wings to fly.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hope you get some good replies on this one. I am doing this same one next and I am also wondering about the coconut.
I plan on putting the co**** in a grain bag into secondary. Just curious how much to use.

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How dedicated are you to using actual coconut (as opposed to extract)? My first reaction is (like you suggest) true coconut is heavy in oils, which would, in turn, kill your head retention of the final product. If it were me, my first attempt would be to use an alcohol based extract - might be a safer bet, and easier to produce/reproduce.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 02-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Tilldeath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well I'm gonna stick with true coconut as that's what the kit and original recipe calls for however I will be going a little heavier on the coconut 1.5lb. instead of the recommended 1 lb. I'll see where this goes and report back. It has been in the primary about 2 weeks at this point and I will let it sit for another 2 weeks before racking onto the coconut in a nylon hop bag a letting it sit for 4days on the coconut. Then into the keg to carb and 2 more weeks and I'll have some more info for everyone.

“If we will disbelieve everything, because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much what as wisely as he who would not use his legs, but sit still and perish, because he had no wings to fly.”

Old 02-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/when...oconut-123382/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/when...oconut-123382/

Some threads on this topic. I went way over the top with the coconut and this beer came out amazing. I have a keg on now (1yr 10 mo after brewing) and it is the best beer I have ever made, and one of the best I have ever drank, commercial included.

It does pour with decent head, the first keg poured with almost no head IIRC. Who cares, its just aesthetic.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
madbare
Recipes 

Ok, I just did my own coconut beer. I loosely based the recipe on a Mackeson xxx stout with lactose. I used a combination of coconut extract and coconut. I used one bottle of the bakers coconut extract that you find in the baking section. For the coconut I used the sweetened kind and toasted it myself in the oven. I used 5 pounds of it. Here is the trick for reducing the amount of oils that get in your beer, put all the coconut in a very fine nylon mesh bag. What I found out was the oils lump together and cannot leak through the mesh. It actually worked better than I expected. Now for the beer, it turned out awesome. It has a very strong taste of cocnut. The interesting thing is you get slightly different flavors from the extract and toasted coconut, so it adds some nice complexity.

Kegged:
Coconut Milk Stout
Sour Cherry Berliner Weiss
Sour Apple Ale 1.0
Original Apfel Wine

Bottled:
Tart Cherry Wine
Sweet Plum Wine
Apfel, Cranberry, Raspberry Wine

On Deck:
none...

Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Tilldeath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

with 5 lb. I'd imagine it would be pretty heavy on the coconut, everything I've read on people using it has said some where between 1-3 lb. in the secondary for a 5 gallon batch, now that I'm thinking about it I may just bump the coconut up to 2lb. So real quick anyone know who does the recipe formulation for AHS's kits? I'd just like to talk to the kit maker to see what the final beer came out like following this recipe, so I can make any adjustments as needed. Just a thought, but if I found after kegging and carbing that the coconut flavor wasn't high enough, could I just make a extract with vodka and shredded coconut and add a little at a time till I get my desired flavor??

Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Jzak09
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed the AHS reciepe and used real coconut. It was called the headless horsemen for a while, but just now 6 months later, it's starting to retain some head.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #9
Tilldeath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For Jzak90 what did you think about the coconut flavor using the recommended 1 lb.? Was it enough or would you have gone heavier? I decided to go heavier and went with 1.5lb. got a good toasting to all of the coconut and it will be 4 days on coconut on tuesday so will have a tasting when transfering to the keg soon.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
machinelf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

Quick Reply