Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AHS Oktoberfest/Marzen Mini-Mash Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

One week later and fermentation appears to be slowing. Hydrometer reads 1.036 @ 60F. Does that seem high at this point, or is this normal for a lager?

The wort is definitely still very sweet and has a bit of a slick mouthfeel. I'm assuming the latter is from the diacetyl and will be fixed with the diacetyl rest and long lagering.

-Joe

edit: Forgot to mention: the kit specifies an FG of 1.015.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #12
nostalgia
Recipes 

10/23 and tapped the keg for the first time. It's been lagering since 7/13, and been in the keg since 8/15. And I'm disappointed.

It's got a bit of a slimy moutfeel on the finish, but no worse than any other lager I've had. What I didn't expect was the very off flavor and smell.

When I stick my nose in the glass the first image I got was some lychee fruit ice cream I had in San Fransisco. It's kind of a sickly-sweet smell. The flavor is definitely malty, but way off. I'm having trouble describing exactly what I'm tasting here.

I'll have to wait for my wife to get home and see if she can put her finger on some of the flavors. I'm definitely not getting butterscotch or hot, alcohol flavors. Doesn't smell like wet garbage. Maybe a hint of butter.

-Joe

Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
nostalgia
Recipes 

Almost forgot, it's on the left. It cleared and carbed beautifully:

-Joe

Old 10-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #14
nostalgia
Recipes 

The wife agrees that it's "definitely not good." She couldn't pinpoint any flavors until I asked, "Bandaids?" That got an immediate, "Yes! Bandaids!"

Looks like my first dump. It's really nasty. The smell is nauseating me.

Any theories on what went wrong here? I only used Starsan for sanitizing and am very anal-retentive about sanitation.

Thanks,

-Joe

Old 10-24-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4958 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
The wife agrees that it's "definitely not good." She couldn't pinpoint any flavors until I asked, "Bandaids?" That got an immediate, "Yes! Bandaids!"

Looks like my first dump. It's really nasty. The smell is nauseating me.

Any theories on what went wrong here? I only used Starsan for sanitizing and am very anal-retentive about sanitation.

Thanks,

-Joe
Well, before you dump, take it out and keep it at room temperature for a month, then try again. Bandaids isn't good, but slimy to me means "slick, oily" which is probably diacetyl. If you can clean up that diacetyl, maybe the bandaids can clean up too.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
nostalgia
Recipes 

Well, some good news. I poured off a few pints and it's no longer nauseating There's still that odd fruit smell at the onset, but the flavor has cleaned considerably and now I"m getting a lot of yeast flavor. I'm hopeful that it'll get better as we go. I gave my friend a pint and he said, "Yeah, I'll drink that." So it could be worse

Thanks for the encouragement, Yoops.

-Joe

Old 10-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #17
nostalgia
Recipes 

Well, even better news. Everyone at the party raved about the Oktoberfest lager. People were drinking glass after glass. I tasted it again and it still tasted funky to me. Not dump it in the sink funky, but not hey this is great beer, either.

Folks seemed to like the Apricot Wheat, but the lager and the ESB were the two biggest sellers. One of my neighbors who is a die hard Bud drinker had 6 pints of the ESB.

And of course, the Apfelwein went like water I was carrying pitchers of it upstairs.

Who knew?

-Joe

Old 10-27-2008, 03:58 AM   #18
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One hint AHS told me was to put 1 cup of DME into the mash liquid. It will help lower PH.

Also - I had a Mini Mash from AHS that to me was undrinkable. A SHARP twang in the after taste. I was bumbed as the flavor was great until the last 3 seconds.

I let it sit for another month and it's wonderful now!! Thanks little yeasties for cleaning it up!!

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #19
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Glad to hear it wound up well in the end! One trick I learned, for when I need to dispose of some .. um .. "interesting" beer.......... is to loosen up my guests with a couple of tequila shots first, then give them 20 minutes to marinate in it. After that, they'll drink anything that comes out of a tap!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply