*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AHS 20th Aniv IPA help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Frisk181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AHS 20th Aniv IPA help!

So I decided to brew my AHS 20th Aniv extract kit for National Homebrew day and found I have an extra ounce of cascade in the kit that is not listed in the instructions. Any suggestions on what I should do with it? I'm thinking a 10 or 5 min addition.

Here the recipe per the instructions:
Steep 1lb crystal 75 @ 155 for 25
8lbs extra pale liquid extract
1 oz newport @ 60 min
1 oz Falconer's flight @ 15 min

Gains are steeping so time is a bit of a factor.

Last edited by Frisk181; 05-08-2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: forgot extract

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
mrmadworx
Recipes 

Flip your instructions over. The cascades are for dry hopping (add in after 5-7 days) I'm drinking this exact recipe right now and it is really good.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Frisk181
Recipes 

Reading both sides of the instructions what a concept. Just as I was really starting to like the idea of an 8 min addition. Seeing as it is my first IPA and it's getting good reviews I guess I should follow the recipe. Thanks!

Last edited by Frisk181; 05-08-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'v got one of these on tap right now, but it's the worst IPA I have ever made. I had it on primary for 3 weeks, racked it into a keg and dry hoped it for 5 days, and put it in the taper on co2. I tried it for about a week and it was terrible. I took it back out and let it set at room temp. for a week and hooked it back up in the frig and it's still bad. It dosn't have any off flavors but the hop flavor is bad. I can drink a glass and belch nasty hop flavor for and hour. This is the first time I ever dry hopped so I brewed another one and skipped the dry hops hoping it will be better. This is dissapointing because I like IPAs and bought 7 of these kits. I used the LME from one kit and milled some bries 2 row and added some rice and corn to make a three crop cream ale. If I don't figure out what it is I dont like about the hops I will just use the LME in other recipes. Has anyone else had a bad experience with these kits? I brewed a porter that was good and a stout I havn't racked off primary yet, hoping it will be good.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Acoma
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I bought one of these kits but but added several extra hop additions and a pound of corn sugar at flame out. I just dry hopped it yesterday and it smells wonderful. Cant wait to try it.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
meister
Recipes 

My anniv. ipa has been in the keg a couple weeks, its good, but not my best batch.
The FF hops seem a tad harsh, but i did add some extra cascade leaf for dryhop.

I think im better off with a single hop centennial/columbus style ipa, but this one is going fast, and im gonna bottle a few to see how they taste in a month or so.

Time for a 2 below clone...

Old 05-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post
My anniv. ipa has been in the keg a couple weeks, its good, but not my best batch.
The FF hops seem a tad harsh, but i did add some extra cascade leaf for dryhop.

I think im better off with a single hop centennial/columbus style ipa, but this one is going fast, and im gonna bottle a few to see how they taste in a month or so.
It may be the FFF hops I dont't like, I had never used them befor. I put my AHS APA in the frig last night and it don't taste too bad, it's still young, 3 wks in primary and 8 days in a primed keg. I think I will take the IPA back out and put it in a closet for a few weeks and see if the hop flavor will reduce some. If it don't get better I will cook up about 3 gallon of .050 wart with just 2 row and blend it and referment. I'm going to brew another IPA kit and I think I will use columbus hops, I have 4 lb. whole hops I got on ebay a while back and I'v been running it through beer calc. with columbus.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
meister
Recipes 

mine is still young as well, im not writing it off, its good, and the bitterness is smooth overall, i went crazy with flameout additions of ff, as well as a cheescloth of .5 FFin my keg, but the bit of harsh late flavor is smoothing out, i also found a good temp i think works best for a tall pint, and i just realized all of my "sampling" has my keg almost half gone!!

Time for a 2 below clone...

Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

After 10 days of fermentation I tasted mine when I took a hydro. I thought the flavor was great. I added an extra oz of FF also. It's a bit more bitter than I would prefer but I won't have any problems knocking out a keg of it.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine is starting to mellow out some, but as I was moving some kegs around in the kegerater I noticed it's over half gone. It still has a strong hop flavor I'm not fond of.

Anybody got a description of how columbus hops might taste in this and a hop schedual I might use.

Quick Reply