Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AG sub for amber malt extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default AG sub for amber malt extract?

Any good rule-of-thumb substitute for amber malt extract when converting recipes to all grain? I thought Beersmith would do this for me, but I just realized it requires you to choose the replacement malt, and just does the gravity calc for you...

so, 1 lb amber malt extract = approximately how much of which grains?

thanks, gents. or ladies. or not.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Mix of caramel 60, munich and some base would make a suitible replacement for amber, in what quantities, I could only guess.

Maybe .25 lb caramel .50 lb munich/lb of base malt? It's just a guess.

I don't have my Beersmith in front of me as I am at work, but I could probably figure out the quantites better.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Hi Pint. Another approach would be to share what you're trying to brew and the recipe and figure out what grains would work for what you are trying to brew. That is easier for me, at least.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Hi Pint. Another approach would be to share what you're trying to brew and the recipe and figure out what grains would work for what you are trying to brew. That is easier for me, at least.
heheh well I'm trying to mash the malt portion of brandon's graff... Don't have any LME on hand, and i want to reuse my Pacman cake...

calls for 1 lb amber LME and 1 lb light LME... Maybe just mash a couple lbs pale malt with about .25lb crystal 60??? no clue... seems like that might be kinda heavy on the crystal.

help I don't know much about malt extracts.

EDIT: well, this is my brew and I was going to add some ingredients anyway, so maybe I'll just mash 3 lbs pale and a tad of a few different crystal malts. sure. why not. I'll add some 10L for sweetness, some 120 for depth, some 60 for good measure...

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Last edited by PintOfBitter; 09-25-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
heheh well I'm trying to mash the malt portion of brandon's graff... Don't have any LME on hand, and i want to reuse my Pacman cake...

calls for 1 lb amber LME and 1 lb light LME... Maybe just mash a couple lbs pale malt with about .25lb crystal 60??? no clue... seems like that might be kinda heavy on the crystal.

help I don't know much about malt extracts.

EDIT: well, this is my brew and I was going to add some ingredients anyway, so maybe I'll just mash 3 lbs pale and a tad of a few different crystal malts. sure. why not. I'll add some 10L for sweetness, some 120 for depth, some 60 for good measure...
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, have never drank graff let alone made it. Good luck!

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply