*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AG Saison critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
mkorpal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks to all of your suggestions.

I decided to drop the spices for now. I figured I could brew this and than experiment with spices in later brews to come up with a better idea of what each will bring to the beer.

So, taking a few suggestions from you, this is what I have.

7Lb Belgian Pilsner
1Lb Wheat
.5Lb Munich
.5Lb Belgian Aromatic

Mash at 148 for one hour (maybe more?)

Hops are going to be the same as the original at this point

3Lb honey after I have cooled the beer.

Same yeast.

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 7 Posts

Yumm That sounds tasty.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes it does.

I've done many a saison in my day (most good, one horribly bad) - it's a great style and really - you can do ANYTHING and plop some saison yeast and it will be saison.

Case study for the above:

We were group brewing and had a royal crapton of leftover junk. Flaked Wheat, Flaked Oats, Pils, Munich, Regular Wheat, etc. We ran all the leftover grain we had into a mash tun, put some water in and calculated some basic hops with what we had on hand. Dropped some spices/orange peel/whatever we had on hand.

We all thought it would be horrible in the end, but hey - it coud have been wonderful, right?

I let that thing sit in the back closet in tertiary for 8-9 months. I wanted to bottle it but was scared it was going to taste just horrible, so it just sat in the closet as this bastardized stepchild that wasn't allowed out in public.

I decided to keg it right before the 1 year anniversary so I could take it to the group brew - and low and behold it is one of the TASTIEST beers I've ever had. I have no recipe (we did actually type it into beersmith, but it was on an old laptop belonging to my former employer and I forgot to take the recipe with me), and the ingredient list is just so random. I'll never be able to make this beer again.

So, moral of the story -- ANYTHING can end up a Saison, because just about anything is "in style", and even if it isn't directly to style - it's a nice farmhouse ale.

Quick Reply